Railroad Forums 

• Official SIRR Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#264948  by Wanderer

ChooChooHead2 wrote:Remember it well, because that's a scene not to be repeated anytime in our lifetime.
Sorry guys, but I have to laugh. Yeah, it's been a while now, currently July 2006. But why does everyone seem to thing the first time was the last time?? There was at least 1 or 2 runs after that I'm aware of, albiet spaced apart. I mean, come on. One crew even laid on the horn for every crossing! :-D (Take that NIMBYs)

It will happen again. I mean, come on. Their running out of room up there. They are going to have to do clean up eventually...

PS: AK Drawbridge?? It Lives!! (Or at least is was during the test drop/raise.)

#265311  by Steve F45

Wanderer wrote:
ChooChooHead2 wrote:Remember it well, because that's a scene not to be repeated anytime in our lifetime.
Sorry guys, but I have to laugh. Yeah, it's been a while now, currently July 2006. But why does everyone seem to thing the first time was the last time?? There was at least 1 or 2 runs after that I'm aware of, albiet spaced apart. I mean, come on. One crew even laid on the horn for every crossing! :-D (Take that NIMBYs)

It will happen again. I mean, come on. Their running out of room up there. They are going to have to do clean up eventually...

PS: AK Drawbridge?? It Lives!! (Or at least is was during the test drop/raise.)
AK draw, where is it?

#265331  by Wanderer

2005Vdub wrote:AK draw, where is it?
AK Draw is, or at least was for a long period, the world's longest vertical lift bridge, and is located in the Bayway section of Elizabeth, NJ over the Arthur Kill.

#265655  by Steve F45

thanks.

what's the name of hte bridge on the chemical coast along 95 near elizabeth.

#265717  by Wanderer

2005Vdub wrote:what's the name of hte bridge on the chemical coast along 95 near elizabeth.
I think you might mean Rahway Moveable Bridge, formerly 'RH' in Carteret. It crosses the Rahway River It is remote controlled by South Jersey, and is only a hand full of yards from I-95/New Jersey Turnpike. It's the only moveable bridge on the Chemical Coast Secondary.

#272086  by CNJFAN

It would seem to me that the RVRR and SIRR project is dead in the water!
Almost makes one think it's not going to happen at all.
I bet the residents of Kenilworth are in their glory...

#272195  by Wanderer

Minus the trip today to Roselle today to grab 45 off the Staten Island siding and main of course...

#272260  by Ken W2KB

Wanderer wrote:Minus the trip today to Roselle today to grab 45 off the Staten Island siding and main of course...
Wonder if this bodes well for a 'real' train use in the near future as opposed to long-term storage of cars?

#272307  by Sirsonic

For a "real" train to use this line, that is a train that would be doing more than delivering cars to the end of the line to be stored, there would need to be an interchange agreement with Conrail (or CSX, or NS). No such agreement exists, so don't hold your breath.

#272344  by Wanderer

Today they yanked pretty much everything out of Roselle/Cranford. I counted 45, plus or minus 2-3. It was an extremely amusing scene on Saint George Avenue. One nimby yelled at the crossing, "What the heck is this??"

I yelled back at her, "It's a train. You know? A steel thing that moves on rails and goes whoo whoo."

Apparently she didn't like that much. :-D

I have agree with Sirsonic. I wouldn't be looking for anything other than storage/retrieve moves anytime soon. Common sense saysthe railroad is not going to operate real traffic if there is no profit to be had. It doesn't look like there will be any revenue source anytime soon.

#280860  by CNJFAN

So I went past Cranford yard today and saw that all of the covered hoppers that were once parked there are all gone.
That was my first trip past there in weeks.
Anyone know why they are gone and when it happened?

#281020  by ChooChooHead2

CNJFAN wrote:So I went past Cranford yard today and saw that all of the covered hoppers that were once parked there are all gone.
That was my first trip past there in weeks.
Anyone know why they are gone and when it happened?
I was told that Exxon/Mobil owned those cars, and that when the price was right for plastic pellets, they'd sell them.

I guess the price was right a few weeks ago. In theire place, aside from the empty tracks, there is an orange traffic cone on the track on the right. I'm not sure if M&E crews placed it there, or just kids fooling around.

#282000  by blockline4180

So what are the chance the Rahway Valley line will EVER get completed?? 50/50 at this point? OR LESS?

#282225  by MarkRouters

I'd say less than 50/50 by now but still not out of the question.

#283403  by TheBaran

Rails are being lifted from the old interchange track between the Lehigh Line and the SIRT. Track still in place near the SIRT connection, however, up by the Lehigh Line the rail and some ties have been removed. The equipment is still at the site, so I assume the rest of the rail will be lifted next week.