Railroad Forums 

• WHO REBUILDS ALCOS ?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#260260  by Alcoman

Besides NRE, who do you know will rebuild an Alco locomotive in the U.S or Canada?

#260470  by BrianM

Canada Allied Diesel and Progress Rail off the top of my head. I spoke with Progress yesterday about doing some contract work.

Brian

#262327  by MLW_Mechanic

Also,

Canada Wide Locomtoive Industries in Montreal (CWLI)

Industrial Railway Services - Moncton Locomotive Works
Moncton, NB (IRSI) (MLW)
 #263904  by cdw

American Motive Power Inc. Dansville NY rebuilds Alco Locomotives. They have personell with extensive alco rebuild experince. And a state of the art facility with an experinced support staff.

#264151  by *istDS

How can AMP ( a start up in the diesel engine and locomotive repair business) have extensive experience ?

JFD

#264156  by Alcoman

Most likely by recruiting people from companies that already rebuild locomotives.

#264163  by *istDS

I understand that point, Alcoman. We will see how much business they have to buy before they get into trouble.

The State of New York is not exactly the best environment for a start-up heavy manufacturing business. You know-the taxes...

JFD

#265049  by joshuahouse

I think the building is owned by the town village or county IDA which certainly cuts down on the tax problems, it may also be in an Empire Zone.

*ist ds, is that name taken from the Pentax digital slr line?

#265119  by *istDS

roger that.

#265296  by Alcoman

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:Fairbanks Morse makes a version of the Alco 251.

www.fairbanksmorse.com/
But, they themselves donot rebuild Alco locomotives.