Railroad Forums 

• Hot Times on the BNSF

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#26349  by zwsplac

Man, the BNSF is really busy these days! Yesterday, I had an appointment in Emporia Kansas, so I went an hour early with the intent of seeing a few trains at Ellinor Jct. I would have been happy seeing 4 trains or so, but after my hour was up, I'd seen six. Driving along US-50 into Emporia netted me 3 more trains. I saw 3 more in Emporia before and after my appointment, and 2 more driving back to Strong City to get on the road home. 14 trains, and I was only by the tracks for an hour and a half, tops! I'm gonna have to take a day off to se just how many I can see in 24 hours!
Also, I think it's cool how BNSF is doing the directional running between Ellinor and Mulvane. It really livened up Newton and the La Junta sub.

KC?

#26520  by Komachi

Sounds like someone had a great day of railfanning.

How's the action in and out of Kansas City these days? I go down there and visit my brother every now and then, just currious to know if I ever get some time to do some railfanning.

#26638  by zwsplac

The Kansas City area is as busy as ever, as far as I know. I really don't make it over there too often. I'm currently searching for a new favorite spot to watch trains in KC, as Santa Fe Interlocking is now posted as No Trespassing. Used to be, you could sit in the middle of an absolute maze of tracks and be surrounded by trains, including trains above you! There is a building for rent just east of the junction that I might try my luck watching trains at. Still, you don't have to look hard to find decent spots, just be aware of your surroundings.

#34521  by John_Perkowski

The old Parkville, Missouri station is a great place to watch the Q mainline out of Murray yard. It's city property now, fenced and police patrolled :)