Railroad Forums 

• Frequencies for NYSW, CSX and others in NJ

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#198080  by Steve F45

Does anyone have the frequencies for NYSW, CSX who operate thru Ridgefield park,NJ? NJT? Looking for some frequencies to add to my new scanner the g/f got me for christmas. Now i dont have to wait forever to see a train coming to get some shots off. I can go when they are expected to go thru that general area.

#198086  by clearblock

NYSW 160.485
CSX River Line 160.980
Conrail 160.860
NJT 161.400

#198147  by Steve F45

Thanks for the help.

Do you know where I can find njtpd and other police agencies frequencies?

#198173  by clearblock

The web site that had the best general info was shut down recently.

RadioReference.com is the only source existing I am immediately aware of. I can't guarantee how accurate the info is for your area. Here is a link to their listing for NJT Police:

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.p ... R&aid=1601

For the NYC Metro area there is a very good list but they don't have a lot of info for the NJ side at:

http://www.n2nov.net/

You can try a Google search and see what other lists are out there.

There is a RailScan Yahoo Goup that runs a live internet RR scanner broadcast in your area and has a lot of good info:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/RailScan/join

#198364  by Steve F45

Central for NJTPD, is that supposed to be there statewide? I know they have statewide, penn st, hoboken, camden, trenton, riverline and ac. I'de like hoboken, penn and state.

#240057  by Steve F45

Are there more frequencies for NYSW and the CSX riverline then posted? How come i never hear anything from CP5 north or south?

#240236  by jmp883

Being a former train dispatcher, a current emergency services dispatcher, and all-around radio buff let me see if I can help here. I would put these 4 frequencies in-they were the 4 primary road frequencies for Conrail prior to the NS/CSX takeover.

160.800 This was listed as Conrail Road Ch. 1. It was the primary road channel for all trains on the Conrail Southern Tier Line between Suffern, NY and Port Jervis, NY. It is now controlled by the NS Southern Tier Dispatcher from Port Jervis, NY west to Binghamton, NY. Between Port Jervis, NY and Suffern, NY it is controlled by the NJT Mainline dispatcher. Being a former NJT train dispatcher on the Mainline I can tell you all trains west of Suffern, NY will switch to it. East of Suffern, NY all trains will switch to 161.400-the NJT Mainline dispatcher.

161.070 This was listed as Conrail Road Ch. 2. It is was the primary road channel of the Conrail Lehigh Line between Oak Island, NJ and Allentown, PA. It is now controlled by the NS Lehigh Line Dispatcher and is still the main NS route into and out of the NY/NJ metro area.

160.860 This was listed as Conrail Road Ch. 3. It was used by trains running on the various running tracks and secondaries in the central NJ area as well being used as by the many yards in the area as well. It is now controlled by the Conrail Shared Assets North Jersey Dispatcher.

160.980 This was listed as Conrail Road Ch. 4. It was used by trains running on the Conrail River Line as well as by trains in Southern NJ. It is now controlled by the CSX NJ Dispatcher on the River Line and by the CSX NI Dispatcher (the old Conrail Trenton Line).

I would also make sure you have these frequencies:

160.485 The NYS&W. They run from Little Ferry, NY to Binghamton, NY via their own mainline to Hudson Jct where they then switch onto the NJT/MN line into Port Jervis and on to Binghamton, NY.

161.400 The NJT Hoboken Division. The Hoboken Division is all trains on the Morris & Essex Lines, the Mainline, the Bergen County, the Pascack Valley, and the Southern Tier.

161.235 The NJT Newark Division. The Newark Division is the Princeton Line, the North Jersey Coast Line, the Raritan Valley Line, and the Atlantic City Line.

As for you not being able to hear much are you using a handheld, base, or mobile scanner? Antenna quality and location will greatly affect your ability to receive radio signals. Nothing beats a good antenna. You can have the best receiving radio in the world, in the best location possible, and if you have a cheap antenna you aren't going to hear as much as if you have a quality antenna on that radio. Of course the opposite is also true. A good antenna can make a mediocre radio perform better. Regardless of what type of radio you're using go to a good ham/scanner/cb radio store....they'll have antennas for all types of scanners as well. $25-$50 will get you a good-quality antenna. www.universal-radio.com also has some great antennas for scanners.

These frequencies should keep your radio busy! :wink:

#240350  by Steve F45

thanks very much. I'll have to double check what i have. But the njt ones help alot.

as for the scanner its a radio shack brand, 1000 ch.multitrunking. I'll get the model # when work slows a bit. I do 911/police dispatching and the poop has certainly hit the fan right at tour change.

#240703  by jmp883

2005Vdub wrote:
I do 911/police dispatching and the poop has certainly hit the fan right at tour change.
So do I-16 years now, with a break for the one year as a train dispatcher.

Apparently you haven't heard of these 2 laws:

1) Murphy's Law Of Emergency Service Dispatching:

"The fecal matter will always contact the rotary atmospheric wave generator at the end of any given shift."

2) Joe's Corollary To Murphy's Law Of Emergency Service Dispatching:

"Murphy's Law Of E.S.D. also applies as soon as your dinner has been delivered. Call volume will not return to normal levels until your dinner is beyond the point of being able to be reheated by even the most industrial-strength microwave oven."

My full-time agency works 12-hour shifts, I'm on the permanent 6pm-6am shift, 2 nights on/2 nights off. My part-time job still works 8-hour shifts, I work 2 Saturdays and 2 Sundays month on the 4pm-12am shift.

And now enough of this dispatching stuff, back to the trains...... :-D

#240724  by Steve F45

i hear ya on the second law there. Never fails.

#247358  by Steve F45

Does anyone have the new york & greenwood lake, croxton yard in secaucus (NS), 69th street in North Bergen (csx)?

#253284  by cifn2

CSX dispatch is on 160.230 and 160.340 in IL ... I hear it here in town from Jacksonville,FL I must be close enough to the tower to receive off of it occassionally.
 #265175  by RDGFan40

2005Vdub wrote:Thanks for the help.

160.830 MHz. PL 123.0 is very active for NJTPD and I can monitor it here in Philadelphia with NOOOOO problem. Sometimes I have to lock it out cause it gets very busy.
 #265314  by Steve F45

RDGFan40 wrote:
2005Vdub wrote:Thanks for the help.

160.830 MHz. PL 123.0 is very active for NJTPD and I can monitor it here in Philadelphia with NOOOOO problem. Sometimes I have to lock it out cause it gets very busy.
probably statewide. i need to clean out all the pre programmed crap in my scanner. i hate not beeing able to keep it on scan without hearing stuff from who knows hwer.e
 #265343  by RDGFan40

probably statewide. i need to clean out all the pre programmed crap in my scanner. i hate not beeing able to keep it on scan without hearing stuff from who knows hwer.e[/quote]

I hear a lot of Hoboken, Newark Broad st., Penn Station, East Orange, and N Jrersey activity. Rarely hear anything going on with them S of Trenton.