• Photos of the ALCo plant in Schenectady

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

by Tadman

Howdy;
Anybody know of a good site for photos from inside the Alco works in Schenectady?

by Alcoman

Try this for starters.........
http://jmech.tripod.com/id3.html

by Tadman

I've been there, a really neat site. Some interesting things I've learned - the overhead cranes are 1960ish Whiting cranes, built at 147th and the IC in Chicago - I'm surprised Alco spent the money on new cranes ($250k in today's dollars) when their business wasn't so good. I'm also surprised they bought from Whiting when Shepard-Niles was just up the road in Montour Falls, NY.

by joshuahouse

That is a good question did you know Shepard Niles made the crane that raised the manhattan project test bomb? (clearly a one use item, always good for more sales.)

by overseer

I have 4x8 inch prints taken in side the Auburn Plant and a good supply and welth of info from there. My Grand Father used to work there from the later 1930's till the mid 1970's befor he passed away.