Railroad Forums 

• Houston Belt and Terminal

• Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
 #257421  by Inde_Joe

Hello Listfolks,

I am interested in the Houston Belt and Terminal Railroad, but there is very little online about the company. (Other than a few pics)..

They do not have a historical society or something?

How about equipment rosters online?

Seems like its almost a forgotten railroad.

Joe.

#392675  by txbritt

Goldenarm,

Did you know a guy named Tony Harrison? He worked on the belt, but then hired out with SP. He's a good friend of mine that is a conductor on the UP, and holds a regular job over at Booth yard ( west of the shipchannel, at the turning basin ) Its been a while since I've talked to him actually :(

The Gulfcoast Railroad Museum up off of Mesa drive has the belt #14. We stripped the yellow equity grain paint off of the HBT lettering, and you can see it pretty clearly. Unit needs injectors to run. Its an S2, with a 539 plant.

Britt
 #903566  by griffindepot

Goldenarm, I know Tony Harrison very well. He never hired out with the SP. He just went through the merger. He's still working and is # 3 on the old HB & T sen. roster.
txbritt wrote:Did you know a guy named Tony Harrison? He worked on the belt, but then hired out with SP. He's a good friend of mine that is a conductor on the UP, and holds a regular job over at Booth yard ( west of the shipchannel, at the turning basin ) Its been a while since I've talked to him actually :(

The Gulfcoast Railroad Museum up off of Mesa drive has the belt #14. We stripped the yellow equity grain paint off of the HBT lettering, and you can see it pretty clearly. Unit needs injectors to run. Its an S2, with a 539 plant.

Britt
 #920884  by rlsteam

I have available a 20-page 80th year commemorative booklet with history and contemporary description of HB&T, with photos in B&W and color, published in 1985. It is looking for a good home. For information go to www.railarchive.net/rriana .
 #1046343  by yahola

Did anyone here know a Guy Sampson (nickname: Mule)?
He was an engineer for the HB&T for about thirty years.
He retired around 1977.
 #1331809  by Robojoe56

I worked with Tony Harrison from 1978 through 1982. I hired on in August 6th of that year and Tony was in the hiring class a few weeks after me. Had an older brother that was in the railroading business as well. If I recall, his Dad was a preacher. Caught a good number of jobs with him working the extra board for a majority of my career at HB&T. We seemed to be awarded the "Gold Harriman" award every year during my short tenure, receiving a award gift, from commemorative plates to class rings, etc., which I still have today. I eventually sold my seniority after almost a year of being laid off back then. I had secured a more stable position during the layoff but still think about my times there. My times there made a lifelong impact which I still cherish now. Good group of old timers from the steam engine days that I enjoyed conversing and working with. The greatest generation, the last of the Mohicans, the WWII era, their careers coming to a close. And mine just beginning. Even had a chance to meet "Bozo Tejano", catching his relative chalk art deco at South Yard on Sunday afternoons. He was a Hughes Tool retiree, in his late eighties at the time, claiming to be the famed artist. There was a book published years ago depicting the numerous chalk artists from the 1930's through the 1970's. I recognized a good number of chalk trademarks. I never had the opportunity to see any of my class comrades or HB&T employees after my '82 departure. Use to get the HB&T newsletter only for a few months after I left. Not sure if it's even published anymore. I know the HB&T credit union exists but doubt if anyone employed there would be current with former employees. Anyways, love to hear back from any former employees.
 #1472679  by Shauna3w

Does anyone know how I can contact HB&T? They own a property I need to discuss with them. But there is only a mailing address of what appears to be vacant land. I doubt they would read a letter. I can't seem to find any info online for them. I would like to get a phone number.
Thank you!
 #1639415  by KraigLee

Hello, I am Kraig Lee. I am reaching out to share a story that is very close to my heart. It’s a story about my beloved grandfather, Gerold Moore, and the legacy he left behind.

Gerold was not just a grandfather to me, but also a mentor and a friend. He was a man of many talents, one of which was his ability to bring life to inanimate objects. He owned a train shop in the quaint town of Longview, Texas, where he spent countless hours working on his passion - trains.

Among the many things he left behind, there is one item that stands out - a ring. This isn’t just any ring. It’s a piece of history, a symbol of his dedication to his craft. The ring is beautifully crafted with a yellow gem that sits proudly in the middle. The top crest of the ring is engraved with the words “Houston Belt & Terminal”, a testament to his love for trains.

Underneath the word “Terminal” on the crest, there is a figure holding a lantern, a beacon in the darkness, accompanied by the number ‘08’. On the opposite side of the ring, there is an image of a man, perhaps a fellow railroader, along with the number ‘79’.

When my grandfather passed away, he left me with more than just memories. He left me with a collection of 40 Lionel trains. Each train is a piece of art, a testament to his passion and dedication. They are more than just toys or collectibles. They are a part of him, a part of our shared history.

However, I find myself at a crossroads. I am unsure of what to do with this collection. It feels like I have been handed a torch, but I am unsure of how to carry it forward. I am reaching out in the hope that someone might be able to guide me. What should I do with these trains? How can I honor my grandfather’s legacy? Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.