Railroad Forums 

• Alco 241 prime mover

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#246015  by morscher

Hi.

I have googled to my heart's content, but I have been unable to find any photographs of the Alco 241 diesel engine (the engine itself, not the Black Maria locomotive that houses it).

Has anyone ever seen a photo of the 241?

Later,
Arnie Morscher

#246056  by Alcoman

While not a photo, there is a drawing of the 241 engine in the ALCO book: "A Centennial Rememberence " by R. Steinbrenner on page 223.

#246068  by Luther Brefo

Alcoman wrote:While not a photo, there is a drawing of the 241 engine in the ALCO book: "A Centennial Rememberence " by R. Steinbrenner on page 223.
That book is wonderful although I couldn;t help but notice that he presumed a few things. Towards the end he assumes that the LA&L has painted number 421 although the engine is at this time being painted. It had not happened at the time of publishing.

But all in all, a very informative book.

#246076  by Alcoman

I agree. He's going to be publishing more books on Alco Locomotives in the coming years. There may be at least two more this year including a book on the RS-27. This book is being written by Chris MacDermot who is a former Alco Service manager. There is also one on Alco Demonstrators he hopes to put out this year in color.
Another book in the planning stages is one on Export Alcos.

#246146  by Luther Brefo

Alcoman wrote:I agree. He's going to be publishing more books on Alco Locomotives in the coming years. There may be at least two more this year including a book on the RS-27. This book is being written by Chris MacDermot who is a former Alco Service manager. There is also one on Alco Demonstrators he hopes to put out this year in color.
Another book in the planning stages is one on Export Alcos.
I'll be sure to pick those up as well. :wink:
 #246428  by morscher

Thanks for the tip.

....."While not a photo, there is a drawing of the 241 engine in the ALCO book: "A Centennial Rememberence " by R. Steinbrenner on page 223."......

Arnie Morscher

#258637  by wess

Another book in the planning stages is one on Export Alcos

I,ll definitely be keeping my eye out for that one.
wess