Railroad Forums 

• Nickel Plate Passenger Trains

• Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
 #6417  by CarterB

When did the last passenger train operate to/from St. Louis?

Anyone have timetable/s that shows what stopped in Charleston, Il and when?

#13650  by shlustig

CarterB,

NKP #9 "Blue Arrow" last arrival in STL and #10 "Blue Dart" last departure STL on 3-14-59. (See "Limiteds, Locals, and Expresses in Indiana 1838-1971" by Craig Sanders)

According to the April, 1953 Official Guide:
Charleston: NKP #10 9:23P/9:28P Division Point/Crew Change
#9 3:57A/4:02A

NYC #2nd/40 - 1:22AM Local Section of the "Missourian"
#427 - 4:14AM "Gateway"

Hope this helps.

#24247  by arnstg

I used to live in Buffalo and recall the following from seeing NKP trains come in about 1030-11PM in the late 50's to be transferred to the DL&W for New Jersey.

1. The NKP cars were connected together by chains. Apparently in case of a broken knuckle coupler. Don't know of any other RR that did that.

2 Because the Buffalo DL&W Terminal was a stub, a crew would go through the coaches and turn the seats around. Bet the passengers appreciated that.

Interesting to see, one time, an NKP Business car come in on the end of the NKP and be set up to run backwards on the DL&W.

Oh, to see that site again. Regards, Jerry

#26003  by EDM5970

I can't say that every railroad used them, but safety chains between cars were pretty common on passenger equipment, at least before the tightlock couplers came into use.

#29432  by arnstg

I recalled something else to add to my post of June 5.

"FEATHERBEDDING"!!

A pair of DL&W E8's would stand by for the arrival of the NKP train.
After the NKP train arrived, a switch engine would come in, couple to the E8's, back them out and bring them back in to connect them to the NKP through cars.

The switch engine would then put the consist on the DL&W train.

How much did this stupid move cost the RR's in more than this one case which made no sense except for the work rules at the time???

It was weird to see a switch engine moving around 2 E8's.
 #41888  by tsched

It's a shame that there aren't photos available of the passenger trains on the Clover Leaf. I lived near Charleston and was born too late to see any of them. I do remember (barely) the freight trains even before N&W, but how wonderful it would have been to see a blue PA on the point. I do have a nice book on the NKP Clover Leaf line but not the passenger train pics I would like to have. Thanks.

#353615  by Otto Vondrak

Did NKP passenger service last into 1964?

When did Buffalo service end? Was the DLW always their traditional connection to New York (via Hoboken)?

#363208  by nkpcab77

NKP passanger trains 5 and 6 (Chicago to Buffalo) lasted into the fall of 65 under N&W and the DLW was the route for through sleepers to New York