Railroad Forums 

• What would ALCO be today?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#241227  by pennsy

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Certainly is surprising.

So essentially, Bombardier is not associated with Alco at all. It is totally independent of Alco and its relatives. Although with a name such as Bombardier, one immediately thinks of some French Connection. What also impresses me is the Metrolink Bombardier Bilevels are push-pulled by EMD, Canada, F-59's, both PH's and PHI's. You might say that the Metrolink trains are all Canadien. (said with a French accent)

#241238  by Alcoman

Thats pretty much it. The only association Bombardier had with Alco was selling and using the Alco 251 engine.

#244022  by Clyde

With all the respect I have for NRE, Bombardier was not only the 251 engine owner and/or manufacturer, but the sole ALCO locomotive builder. Apparently, in the good days of MLW, the competition in London Ontario did their homework, using political leverage and playing the “French Connection” cassette to politicians and in the industry as well. In the late ‘70, Canadian Class-1 RR CN, CP and other heard the message and stop the purchasing of locomotives from the Montreal Shop. Without this business MLW started to slip down with the result that we all know.

Traction control technology wasn't the bigest issue for the Bombardier-MLW division..

BBD

#244288  by *istDS

The carbuilder Alcoman is refering to is Hawker-Siddely. BBD also purchased the P-S and Budd carbuilding bidnes, what was left of them.
 #260878  by steamal

May I put in my two cents' worth here? :-D :-) :( :P :wink: First of all, what had been known as ALCO would need a new name. "NorAlco" (Noth American Locomotive Corporation) occurs to me as a possibility. Also, "NorAlco" would need some sort of technological edge over both GE and EMD. If it did not have that edge, forGET it!!!
 #261346  by MEC407

steamal wrote:"NorAlco" (Noth American Locomotive Corporation) occurs to me as a possibility.
That would be a neat name... but it sounds an awful lot like Norelco, maker of electric razors. :wink:

(I wonder how many Norelco blades were made from steel that originally came from scrapped Alcos?)
 #261499  by Luther Brefo

MEC407 wrote:
steamal wrote:"NorAlco" (Noth American Locomotive Corporation) occurs to me as a possibility.
That would be a neat name... but it sounds an awful lot like Norelco, maker of electric razors. :wink:

(I wonder how many Norelco blades were made from steel that originally came from scrapped Alcos?)
It's gotta be stainless...Alco used industrial strength steel but it can rust. Stainless should not really ever rust.

Throw at least 10.5% chromium into the mix and you get stainless steel. :-)

But think about how many blades one engines worth of steel could make....WOW!
Last edited by Luther Brefo on Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

#261502  by MEC407

People always say that old locos are turned into razor blades, so I had to wonder. :wink:
 #261565  by steamal

I said NorAlco occurred to me as a possibility. Any other suggestions?
 #270543  by steamal

steamal wrote:I said NorAlco occurred to me as a possibility. Any other suggestions?
How about "NorAlcorp"? One advantage: It doesn't sound quite so much like "Norelco".

#270798  by steamal

tgibson wrote:Hi,

How about NewAlco?

Take care,

I didn't think of that possibility, Tom. However, I'm not going to rule it out. BTW, you're not trying to be sarcastic, are you?

#271603  by tgibson

Hi,

Nope, not at all. I hope for that along with everyone else, however unlikely. :)

Take care,

#271736  by mxdata

How about borrowing from Golden-Arm's posting:

"OUT OF BUSINESS"

It looks just like it belongs on a sign.

#271780  by alcodude

:-D
Last edited by alcodude on Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.