Railroad Forums 

• OMID RS36 408

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#235680  by sallenparks

Ontario Midland RS36 408 is sitting at Wallington Jct coupled up to former G&W S4 35. 408 is under tarpping with ownly her two hoods showing there dosen't seem too be any damage except her front door window was busted out and covered with wood anyone know more info. No one was around the offfice in Sodus Thursday.

#235801  by RS-3

When I was there in mid-October it was being boarded up for storage.

GM

#235842  by Alcoman

Why was it being boarded up? Slow down in business? Or was there something wrong with it.?

#235895  by RS-3

Not sure. I got the impression it would run, but needed an overhaul. (And the engine house only holds two units, thus one unit must stay outdoors.)

GM

#235921  by Alcoman

I hope they don't leave out in the weeds like it sounds like they are doing.
With this warmer weather, its a good time to do an overhaul in the shop and leave one of the other units parked outside. They will not have be drained either.
George Hockaday would spin in his grave seeing that parked way out there in no mans land. When he was around, that was his favorite engine.

#235961  by RS-3

They had it pretty well boarded up last Fall so I'm surprised at the broken window. Maybe some one tried to break in. Lets hope they move it back to ther shop area.

GM

#236077  by sallenparks

Thanks for the info it was kind of weird seeing the 408 down there in Wallington and it was in the weeds.

#236177  by sallenparks

I had another thought maybe no one did brake the window the wood plakes in S4 35's windows are on the inside the 408's are on the outside.Meaning they but the wood over the window on the outside instead of going into the cab like on the S4.

#237227  by DL640A

omid 408 is stored servicable no room in engine house. we are running 36 and 3. there are no broken windows, unit is covered to keep weather out of equipment. it is kept in wallington in back yard of employee who is watching through the scope of his rifle. this is railroad property and no one should be there with out signing in at the office first. there are to many kids around the shop area things are stolen or damaged all the time.

by the way, engine 35 is for sale s-4 last one built, anyone interested should also contact sodus office. needs block.