Railroad Forums 

• AMERICAN CRANES

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#232755  by Al Holleuffer

A friend of mine asked me if American Crane was a susidiary of ALCo. He works for the CN (former ICRR) in Louisianna and was looking over one being used for bridge work. On the counterwieght there is a number cast in it, 619383. Does anyone know if this is a construction number or serial number?
 #232832  by H.F.Malone

American Hoist & Derrick Co., St. Paul, Minn.--- not any relation to ALCO. They built smaller (15-80 ton) locomotive cranes for railroad and industrial use; I don't think they built any heavy railroad wreck cranes like the 125-250 ton Industrial-Brownhoists. American also was big in the construction cranes, both crawler and rubber-tired. The railroad stuff was not the majority of their business.

The number is most likely a pattern number or part number for the counterweight casting.

#232860  by *istDS

The lattice-boom crane previously used for excavating, light to medium lifting, etc. has gone out of style in favor of specialized excavators and hydraulic cranes. Such august names as P&H,BLH-Lima, American, Marion,
Koehring, etc. have abandoned this business segment.

Beleive that the only extant non-hydraulic crane mfr is Manitowoc.