Railroad Forums 

• Green Mountain RS-1 roster

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#199983  by wess

Is there any place online where I can find a roster of the Green Mountains locomotive fleet. I did come across a link showing a photo of a Bay Colony RS-1 sitting in the North Walpole yard in sorry shape and it got my curiousity going. How many RS-1's did they own over the years, either as parts or power.
wess

#221422  by CatskillMtnRR

They owned 4 that I know of, 3 that ran and 1 for parts. Bay Colony 1064 was purchased for the roller bearing trucks. They installed them under ex-Rutland 405. After that, I believe they scrapped her, as she was just a shell when they bought her. GMRC also had 2 ex-Illinois Terminal RS-1's as well. They numbered them 400 and 401. 401 was sold in 1987 and she went to New York to work fort he Catskill Mountain Railroad in Kingston, where she resides today. 400 went to the Danbury Railway Museum in Danbury, Connecticut and was restored as New Haven 0673. They use her around the museum grounds on shuttle traisn that they operate. The GMRC also had 2 ex Delaware and Hudson S4's that they dispersed of in the early 80's I believe. they were the 303 and the 305. If I remember correctly, the 305 has returned to the GMRC and will be overhauled and renumbered in the future.

Hope this helps...

J.A.

#221531  by metman499

The 305 has indeed returned and is being readied for service at the former Green Mountain shop across the river from Bellows Falls in New Hampshire.

#228767  by wess

Many thanx
 #230397  by b&m617

Not sure but I believe the one at the CMRR has a cracked block????

Work safe

derail :P
 #349171  by CatskillMtnRR

The CMRR RS1 with the cracked block is our ex SOO LINE 2361 a.k.a "CHITTY" Former Green Mountain 401 is alive and well and is currently being used to power our saturday work train in Kingston as we restore the former Ulster and Delaware line west toward Phoenicia, which is approx 25 miles west of Kingston

J.A.

#349431  by Dick H

The former GMRC 305 was purchased from the Bombadier Plant in Barre VT and brought to Bellows Falls and given some mechanical attention. It was also renumbered WACR 406, so as not to conflict with the GP40 305 on the VRS roster. It was then assigned to the Montpelier and Barre line of the Washington County Line (WACR). However, after a few months there, it was sold to the Claremont and Concord Railway at Claremont Jct. NH. Reportedly, it will be renumbered 102. That leaves only the GMRC 405 as the only Alco on the GMRC roster. This unit is primarily used on the Bellows Falls to Chester Passenger Train in the summer and fall, but still sees occasional local freight work on the GMRC. At the time the roller bearing trucks were installed, other parts of the locomotive were updated, including the MU system to make it compatible with other VRS locomotives. The 405 is reportedly a favorite of VRS management and gets any and all TLC that it needs.

Dick