Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#222001  by F40CFan

I would like to keep track of the last two F40C on Metra property, if anyone else is still interested. Please keep squabbles elsewhere. Thanks in advance.

I noticed last night (3/6) that they moved 611 and 614 over a few tracks and to the east side of the yard. I was wondering why they did that and then this morning there was a rail maintenance train sitting were they used to be parked.
 #222196  by meh

F40CFan wrote:...this morning there was a rail maintenance train sitting were they used to be parked.
That is probably the rail grinder that worked its way over the Milwaukee North this weekend (out on track 1 Saturday night, over the Fox Lake sub Sunday, and in on track 2 Monday night). It was quite a sight to see and hear in action!

To keep this on topic, I'll offer the following link to some video clips from the days when 614 was in daily service. I recently found some better photos which I should also post there.

http://members.trainorders.com/meh/f40c/

#222278  by F40CFan

That was great, thanks. Brought a tear to my eye.....

#222372  by metra 613

yea same here.Anytime i watch my i get tears in my eyes to i know how it is f40c some guys dont just get it.

#222589  by Metra 47 607

I also get tears in my eyes when I think about the F40Cs and what happend to them. I love those videos please post more of them.

#227336  by F40CFan

They've been moved back to their previous parking spot next to the main. It looks like they are plugged into the electrical system. Its hard to see a lot when I go passed them on the train.

#227365  by byte

What's all this talk of getting teary-eyed when an F40c goes by? They have the same prime movers as the regular F40s, so there shouldn't be any extra onion smell. :P

#227485  by Metra 47 607

Well first of all the F40C is my favorite locomotive ever built. I think they are unique there were only 15 ever built and the silver side panels match the bi-levels better than the F40PH and the three axle trucks give a smoother ride for the engineer. They were built espically for the Milwaukee district and that also makes them special. I will allways miss the F40Cs

#227487  by MikeF

I wonder if people got this weepy over the loss of the C&NW Crandall E's, or perhaps the CRI&P Aerotrains?

#227498  by doepack

MikeF wrote:I wonder if people got this weepy over the loss of the C&NW Crandall E's, or perhaps the CRI&P Aerotrains?
Can't speak for anyone else, but I know I didn't. FWIW, I actually thought the aerotrains were interesting, if not seriously flawed, but the "Crandall Cabs" were just plain ugly...

#227578  by byte

MikeF wrote:I wonder if people got this weepy over the loss of the C&NW Crandall E's, or perhaps the CRI&P Aerotrains?
I don't even want to think of the backlash from the retirement of the BN E9s. Metra better have provided grief counseling for all the saddened railfans.

#228086  by doepack

byte wrote:I don't even want to think of the backlash from the retirement of the BN E9s. Metra better have provided grief counseling for all the saddened railfans.
Those E9's were fine machines indeed, and the fact they wore BN green and white to the end only added to the nostalgia. I thought I'd never see any other locomotive get the kind of salute and tribute that the E9's got when they were retired, but the retirement of the F40C's has engendered a great following among a different and mostly younger generation of railfans that is especially prevalent among this forum's members, and indeed, it seems to be vying with those BN E's for the award of 'Metra's most beloved retired locomotive..."

One thing I'm not sure about though, is exactly when the re-numbering to the 600 series took place. As we all know, they were originally numbered 40-54 for the Milwaukee Road, but were already in the 600 series when that road joined the Rock in bankruptcy heaven in 1985, a year after Metra's creation. I can't remember; did Metra re-number them, or did the RTA (under the auspices of NWSMTD and Nortran) renumber them a few years earlier? I think it was Metra, but anyone that knows, feel free to edify...

#228123  by MikeF

doepack wrote:I thought I'd never see any other locomotive get the kind of salute and tribute that the E9's got when they were retired
I'm still waiting for the commemorative "last run" with 611 and 614, like BN 9902, 9913 and 9921 made in '92. Unfortunately I have a feeling we won't see such a trip.
I can't remember; did Metra re-number them, or did the RTA (under the auspices of NWSMTD and Nortran) renumber them a few years earlier?
They were renumbered at the same time they received Metra paint, around 1987. In the RTA/NWSMTD/Nortran/NIRC years, they kept their 40-54 series numbers.

#228130  by Metra 47 607

I would love to see a farewell fantrip for 611 and 614 that would be great its like nobody cares about them. They ran 30 years of reliable service so the fantrip would be a great tribute to a great locomotive. I do miss the BN E units to and I was on the farewell to the BN E unit trip it was fun and sad.

#229192  by metra 613

I will love to see a good by trip to. but no it seems like everone is putting the down,If there a unit to put tdown its the dam mp36s all there do is brake down 423 was one satday is was running with a f40ph.I just love seing that when a emd has to push that dam junk,