Railroad Forums 

• ALCO 16-244 ENGINE ON E-BAY

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#216368  by krobar

Is this the same engine that was on ebay a year or two ago?

#216371  by Alcoman

Yes, and I hope someone grabs it as I fear it will be scrapped if there are no takers.

#216373  by EDM5970

Unless there are two of these around, that is the engine from Philadelphia Gear at King of Prussia. We looked at it maybe four years ago, when it went on eBay the first time. We made the Smithsonian aware of it, but at the time they had no interest (or budget); perhaps things have changed.

If it were a 12-244, I know several parties that would snap it up at that price. But as a 16 cylinder, there are no railroad uses left for it at this point other than the PAs. Smithsonian apparently has no plans (yet) to restore their unit, and Doyle is pretty much committed to the 12-251 he got from BC Rail.

A museum in Auburn or Schenectady would be a nice place for it.

#216552  by Nova55

From what i am told, Doyle is doing the Smithsonians unit once he finishes his, and it was to be stuffed and mounted, not runnable.

#216583  by MEC407

The ad on ebay says it's a 241, not a 244. True or just a typo?

#216586  by Alcoman

A typo....Alco never put the 241 into production.

#216821  by EDM5970

... and there was never a 16-241. The three Black Maria units were all 12s.
It has been confirmed on another forum that this is the Phila Gear engine; I inspected it the first time around on eBay, and it is a 244 beyond any shadow of a doubt.
 #238960  by seefivein

From i can see of the Motor, that looks just like the ones that are used on the Crawler transporters that NASA still uses.

Am I wrong here????

Daniel

#238974  by Alcoman

Close....but the ones Nasa uses are 251 engines, not 244's.

#238977  by seefivein

anyone have any photos of 251's ?\

#238984  by Alcoman

Yes, I have some photos of 251's taken at Alcos Auburn plant. I have to scan them and upload them. If you e-mail me off list, I can e-mail directly.
I am not sure about posting them here however.

#239495  by GN 599

If it goes for scrap you can pick it up for less than 16k. I hear 1/3 of scrap value is what scrappers bid on locomotives (used to be). We all know they dont care about historical significance.