Railroad Forums 

• Auburn Plant Closing - July 2006

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#210197  by Centurylover68

Today is a very sad day! Bombardier is finishing its operations at Alco's old engine shop at Auburn New York. I believe that facility built Macintosh & Seymour engines. Any ways, the building will probably be razed like the it other buildings in Schenactedy.

#210257  by wess

When did this happen?

#210381  by Centurylover68

The plant will be closing in July. The plant was only being used at 50% of its capacity and the cost cannot be justified. There are plans for the plant to be used to produce bio-fuel. It'll probably never happen though.

#210397  by Alcoman

I guess Bombardier has no more orders pending after the Subway cars are done. They were using this plant for componet building for the Subway cars.

I wonder if Plattsburgh will be affected too?
 #210398  by Alcoman

Centurylover68 wrote:Today is a very sad day! Bombardier is finishing its operations at Alco's old engine shop at Auburn New York. I believe that facility built Macintosh & Seymour engines. Any ways, the building will probably be razed like the it other buildings in Schenactedy.
They(Alco) did indeed build M&S engines for marine,stationary and locomotives( 531, 538, 539) and later built model 251 engines there for locomotives as well as stationary and marine users. They even built a "270" engine there which was short lived.

#211082  by Paul

John. do you have any data on the "270" engine? Any photos or drawings? I am real curious of this mystery machine. I don't recal any mention of it in the latest Alco book.

#211087  by Alcoman

Paul,
I don't have any printed data, but I am sure there is someone who has it.
I talked to someone in Alco back in the early 80's about it who told me this engine was built to replace the 251. It was built to put out more HP per cylinder. I am told that the end result was not much better than the 251 was capable of so they scrapped plans to produce this engine.
Alco built about 2 engines which were given to the marine business to try out.
I don't know if they still have them or not.
John

#260237  by overseer

The Auburn Plant closes on Firday June 30th 2006 for the last time at midnight. Nearley 200 people will be out of the job. The Union and the company have made agreements to several requests made by the emploees as far as there unemploeement package gos when the plant closes. It will be intresting to see what the City of Auburn will do with the building.

A Large Pile of Floor Cranes sits in the Northeast corner of the property by the Railroad Tracks. As well as outher equipment that will more then likley be eather sent to outher plants, sold, or auctioned off. Semi Trucks have been moveing some equipment out of the building but I could not tell you what it is being that the loads are under tarps. They Auburn Tech seem to be moveing things at night more so than during the day.

#314258  by scharnhorst

There is some activity going on at the Ex Auburn Tech (AKA ALCO) building in Auburn. Althow the office windows on the South side of the building are blocked with plywood where were some people walking around the plant grounds with rolled papers maybe blue prints? some of the over head doors were wide open but gated off to prevent people from entering the building. Althow there is no for sale sign on the building grounds any place.... yet.... I would suspect that the building is being eather used for storage?? or maybe Bombadier has plans for the building still althow I would deem it not likley.