Railroad Forums 

• Alco Century For Sale?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#204472  by Alcoman

Luther,
Maybe you should consider a "Century " closer to Western NY. You may want to talk with Buffalo Southern about their C415 # 423. Heaven knows, that locomotive needs restoration in a serious way!
Maybe if you purchased this Alco and then later leased it back to Buffalo Southern, it would help BOTH you and the railroad.

#204477  by BrianM

I did not know that there was a c415 up there. Does anyone have any info on it?

Brian

#204480  by scottychaos

BrianM wrote:I did not know that there was a c415 up there. Does anyone have any info on it?

Brian
Originally Rock Island 423.

http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... S-C415.jpg

built November 1966,
#3451-9,
built as CRI&P 423.
to UP in 3/1981
to Brandon 423 6/23/1981.
to Buffalo Southern 423 (date?)

anyone know if it was ever offically on the UP roster?
I would guess no, since it has carried the number 423 its entire career..

Scot

#204484  by scottychaos

anyone know if it was ever offically on the UP roster?
Scot
found it..
423 was never given a UP number:
All ten units were purchased through an equipment trust jointly held by Railcar Leasing and Union Pacific; upon the CRI&P shut-down on 31 March 1980, CRI&P 415-419 were returned to Railcar Leasing and CRI&P 420-424 were returned to UP; UP retired all five units in December 1980.
CRI&P 423 was sold to Brandon Corporation, 23 June 1981; renumbered to Brandon 423, painted in Brandon's sapphire blue in August 1981, stored at Manhattan, Kansas, April 1982; painted gray and lettered for Rail Car America by August 1987; later repainted blue and lettered for Brandon Rail; sold to Buffalo Southern (BSOR) by about 2000.

http://utahrails.net/all-time/up-x-ri.php

Picture as Rock 423:
http://jmech.tripod.com/sitebuildercont ... and423.jpg

Scot

#204524  by CRHauf

Otto & Luther,

Just a quick note from the perspective of the Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum:

1) We most certainly have a second generation diesel engine such as an ALCO Century (C420/424/425), an EMD GP (30/38/40) or GE U-boat (U18/U23B/B23-7) on our collection roadmap along with several other types of locomotives and equipment. With that said, however, we are not actively seeking additions to our collection right now since we want to care for what we have. More hands are always welcome! We have lots to do! Plus, we have other priority projects beyond our equipment which leads me to my second point.

2) We most certainly have and will have the facilities to work on such an engine. Already built and once outfitted (hopefully much will be done by the end of 2006 if our capital fundraising continues to be successful), our restoration building (60'x140') will be equipped with all of the tools and the pit needed to work on just about any type and any size railroad equipment sans maybe a six-axle Century, an SD45 or an SD90MAC. While the building could handle it. our demonstration railroad would not. That is simply due as Otto points out to some heavy curvature where such long & heavy six-axle pieces would not work. A second generation B-B road switcher, however, should fit just fine! They are not that much larger/heavier than LV211.

I hope that clears a few things up. If you have an idea you would like to run by us, please feel free to contact me via our website. We are always open to new possibilites, but we just ask that you ask first.

Thanks!

Regards,
Chris Hauf
Manager - Railroad Equipment
R&GV Railroad Museum
http://www.rgvrrm.org

#205103  by Otto Vondrak

Thanks for clearing that up, Chris. I didn't mean to imply that we weren't capable of taking in a large project loco like a Century... just probably not right now.

When in doubt, ask the museum!

-otto-