Railroad Forums 

• Alco Century For Sale?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#202255  by scottychaos

NYLE in Gowanda has three Centuries..
Only one seems to run on a regular basis.
and they have the "junker"..
http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... 5-5067.jpg
missing steps and windows!
would be a MAJOR "fixer upper"..but its also somewhat rare, PRR.

The RS11 in Lancaster needs a good home:
http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... 1-3603.jpg

The Mohawk and Hudson chapter NRHS should sell off their collection..
they have some Alcos out in Albany. (no Centuries though)

I believe the RS3 in Cementon is essentially homeless, unemployed and unloved.

what do you have in mind? a locomotive display?
where? :P

Scot

#202267  by BrianM

I have not seen any of the C424/425 for sale in some time. That is not to say that they are not out there. When last I seen some they ran between $40K (needed some work)-$60K (ready to go), depending on what needed to be done to them.

Brian
www.srnjrr.com
 #202302  by Alcoman

lutherkb wrote:Hi,

Would any know of anywhere I could find an Alco C424 or C425 for sale? If so, how much would you estimate it to cost and to move from its location to the New York State Area?
Check with the Louisville, New Albany & Corydon RR in Corydon,IND.
They have/had 2 X-CP C424's for sale. I don't have a phone number for them.
http://www.lnacrr.com/freight.htm

#202313  by Luther Brefo

scottychaos wrote: what do you have in mind? a locomotive display?

Scot
Full restoration is what I had in mind... Western New York...

#202334  by scottychaos

lutherkb wrote:
scottychaos wrote: what do you have in mind? a locomotive display?

Scot
Full restoration is what I had in mind... Western New York...

ooooooh!! :P
at a certain museum perhaps? :-D
very cool..

keep an eye on the A&M..
one of the Lehigh Valley C420's might come up for sale eventually..
in fact, I just got a report that one of them is OOS and not operating.
LV 406.
the LV crossed the Erie only a few miles from Industry!
its certaintly a "local" road..

http://www.frontiernet.net/~scottychaos ... tives.html
(im going to update that page tonight)

Scot

#202941  by N. Todd

The RS11 in Lancaster needs a good home:
It has a good home... on the GVT. They bought it for parts.

As per John's suggestion, check with the LNA&C. Some RS-11s need to be sacrificed to keep other Alcos alive, as was done with LTV units on the M&E and by Amsterdam Leasing.

The Southern Appalachian RR Museum has a former Wabash C425 (?) and A&M has four C424s, two radio controlled and two newer units for parts. I'm not sure if either are willing to give them up or not but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

#202984  by sallenparks

The Walbash unit is a 424 not a 425 that is oddly her number though.Navajo Minnings are former Walbash C425's.

#203421  by A&MWatcher

Scotty-

Where do you get your information from, I seen A&M #62 out and running for the last 6 to 8 months. I havn't heard of the A&M selling anything or the Little Rock and Western yet to be selling off their ALCO's. Rumors are always Rumors.

KS

#203428  by scottychaos

A&MWatcher wrote:Scotty-

Where do you get your information from, I seen A&M #62 out and running for the last 6 to 8 months. I havn't heard of the A&M selling anything or the Little Rock and Western yet to be selling off their ALCO's. Rumors are always Rumors.

KS
KS,
I get my info from all kinds of sources...people email me with what they observe. I scan forums for news..it comes from all over,and perhaps it isnt always right! ;)
but im sure its usually right.
or at least *was* right at one time..
I never have reason to suspect anyone is making anything up..
perhaps that unit was OOS awhile ago, and is now back in service..
or, perhaps it has gone OOS since the last time you saw it running..

when was the last time you saw #62 running?
can you confirm it one way or the other?

thanks,
Scot

#203656  by A&MWatcher

Scotty

As of this morning coming from the south headed to Springdale pulling alot of sand, #62 was out there pulling. The neat thing today was the brand new AC4500 and the MAC 90 pulling grain.

KS

#203663  by N. Todd

...or the Little Rock and Western yet to be selling off their ALCO's.
I thought GWI recently bought out LR&W and sold or was preparing to sell the 420's to MDE.

#204232  by Otto Vondrak

Luther, did you have a specific place in mind for your Alco Century restoration? I dont think one will fit into one of the work bays at RIT-CIMS... but you could certainly try ;-)

What did you have in mind?

-otto-

#204385  by Luther Brefo

Otto Vondrak wrote:Luther, did you have a specific place in mind for your Alco Century restoration? I dont think one will fit into one of the work bays at RIT-CIMS... but you could certainly try ;-)

What did you have in mind?

-otto-
Well, if initially I could get one for a fair price, a really fair price, It could be resotred at RIT-CIMS or at Industry? ANd then serve as a leasing unit on the LA&L :wink: to help pay for itself.If restored at RIT, then I guess RIT could become a customer of the LA&L to get it out onto the road...

Although I do not know how feasible any of this is now...

#204465  by Otto Vondrak

Those are good ideas, Luther. Back in the 1980s, a group of museum members got together and purchased the former LV 211 "hammerhead" RS3m from Conrail at scrap value. They were able to reactivate the engine and lease it to the then-new Rochester & Southern line for a few years to make back their costs. The engine was returned to the museum and repainted to LV colors in 1990.

http://www.rgvrrm.org/about/railroad/lv211/index.htm

The LAL already has more than enough second-hand Centuries of their own strored at Lakeville that are candidates for "restoration" to active service. The R&GVRRM at Industry is not looking to acquire any more locomotives or restoration projects at this time, as far as I know (I don't think we have the room or facilities for a project like that, and a big ol' engine like that wouldn't fare too well on our museums tight trackage anyway). I can put you in touch with the Motive Power Superintendent at the museum if you have more questions...

-otto-