Railroad Forums 

• Any good Alcos for Sale out there?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#197489  by MEC407

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:If they love Alcos so much (such as Ben did), why did the C-430's get sold?
I'm not sure why the C430s were sold, but that action alone doesn't necessarily signal a departure from all Alcos. After all, they acquired a significant number of RS11s and a few M420Ws, and I believe that happened after the 430s were sold. (Please correct me if I'm wrong; I know very little about the M&E.)
 #197549  by wle1768

A very rare Alco switcher, S-6 816, recently showed up at LTE in McDonald, Ohio. This unit has been used in Warren, Ohio and has went through a couple owners. It was built for Republic Steel, then went to LTV then ISG. It had a generator fire and LTE is supposed to cut it up, while saving the engine. Someone with the money might be able to keep this unit intact or buy it just for parts. Maybe DL is listening.......

#197557  by mandealco

Regarding the M&E and its Alcos.

What is happening now is a standardisation of the various M&E operations. In maine they use 2 FL-9s for pasenger service, so the Geeps being used there is, as noted by the CEO, a business decision to save on inventory. This is the news that was probably being passed on to my good friend Al.

The Alcos will be returned to New Jersey. As for the sale of the 2 C-430s: #17 was Ben's favourite, but the C-430s were very long and not as suited to the type of work the M&E needed them for. Remember, when they first purchased the big Alcos there were plans to keep the EL Cut-Off line in operation and the M&E may have had some involvement in its future. The big Alco's would have been just the bee's knees for this service.

Also, keep in mind that M&E shares senior management/directors with the WNY&P, who are likely to get better utilisation from the 3000hp units.

The M&E will have Alcos on its roster for many years to come. I for one don't like seeing ENDs on the roster, but it gives me something else to model.

Merry Christmas

Steve
Modelling New Jersey in New Zealand

#197569  by N. Todd

A very rare Alco switcher, S-6 816, recently showed up at LTE in McDonald, Ohio. This unit has been used in Warren, Ohio and has went through a couple owners. It was built for Republic Steel, then went to LTV then ISG. It had a generator fire and LTE is supposed to cut it up, while saving the engine. Someone with the money might be able to keep this unit intact or buy it just for parts. Maybe DL is listening.......
Didn't they scrap the 817 in the early 90s?
I thought 816 froze over a few years back... at least it is confirmed to still exist- for now. What's it look like?

#197570  by Alcoman

I thought Ohio Central got one of these S-6's?

#197994  by N. Todd

OHCR got this one (81813).
RSCX 317 -last Warren Coke 816 (same location)
RSCX 318 -last WCI Steel 817 (same location), scr on site by LTEX 11/93
RSCX 153 -(Chicago plant), sold to CCLX 5/83, disposition unk.
Thanks to "Frank" via Tim Darnell for the data.

I don't have the status' of the following S-6s, so they might as well be floating around:
Sheffield Steel/Armco 16
Belt Ry. of Chicago 420
GE-Cleveland 43 & 45
Armco 1202
Tennessee Chem. 107

How many more years, if ever, until we find out what became of WM 152?

#198074  by Alcoman

Could you clarify the many abbreations used here:
RSCX, CCLX = ??

#198089  by N. Todd

Sorry about that...
AAR Reporting Marks:
OHCR Ohio Central RR
RSCX Republic Steel
LTEX Larry's Truck & Electric
CCLX Chrome Crankshaft/Locomotive/Leasing

#198405  by Alcoman

I am going to give a "status" report on all the S-6's in ALCO NOTES . There have been other Alco S-6's that have been retired, sold etc.

#199006  by Alcoman

Can anyone tell the numbers of the M420's in the photos and whether these were sold recently or is this an old ad?
http://www.railroadtrader.com/locomotive_2.html

Scroll down the page.........to see the photos.

#199456  by m420w641

The M420s in the picture were the last ones sold by BCRail: 641, 644, 646& 647 were withdrawn from service 07/2000 and sold to Ontario Southland 03/2003. The B-36-7s (ex Santa Fe) were theirs too. By the way, I'm 2spot, I've been unable to post for a while-couldnt log on-I dont know why.

#199492  by Alcoman

Ok, that means that the ad is old. These are not the ones Huson Bay is selling.
Thanks 2spot.

#199528  by BrianM

That is correct. These units sold about 1 year before the SRNJ picked up their first 2 M420 units. I called on those units when the add was still good and I was told that a BC Rail rep would call me back. That never happened.

Brian
www.srnjrr.com
 #199640  by 2spot

I've been meaning to ask how the M420s stack up against other 2000HP locomotives out there. Seems like roads that buy one try to get more.

#199677  by BrianM

Well, I can not comment on the GP38's but what I can say is that for the last 2 weeks the SRNJ has been running 2 M420's on unit stone trains. The RR must push these cars out the in interchange, called "The Hole", up a steep grade. Now, when they use the GP10 (1850 HP) with one of the ALCO's they need to bump it up some. But with these 2 M420's, they never went over noch 4. Man can they work.

Brian
www.srnjrr.com