Railroad Forums 

• Any good Alcos for Sale out there?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#188461  by N. Todd

MNNR likes their Alcos. Inside their heaquarters, they have pictures of Alcos all in various places and even have a big C-628 line drawing poster/calendar in the lunchroom or meetingroom.
When I asked an employee that seemed to be higher up (e.g., CMO), he said that they will not be disposing of the C-424s but forgot to ask about the Alco-Cat and RS units.

#191206  by Alcoman

Just an Update of the W&H RS23's.....

No buyers yet. I am told that they will be sold to a parts dealer who will part them out...just like the Cartier units if they don't get sold soon.

#196736  by 2spot

In case anyone is still looking for Alco locomotives, Vancouver Diesel is looking for expressions of interest for MLW M-420W units. I dont know how many or where. http://www.railswap.org >Diesel & Gas Locomotives.

#196739  by Alcoman

2spot wrote:In case anyone is still looking for Alco locomotives, Vancouver Diesel is looking for expressions of interest for MLW M-420W units. I dont know how many or where. http://www.railswap.org >Diesel & Gas Locomotives.
Anyone know where these are coming from?

#196800  by 2spot

Alcoman wrote: Anyone know where these are coming from? Frankly, I assumed you'd know. Its pretty safe to assume they are ex-CN units. My best guess would be Hudson Bay Railway. Omnitrax has been looking to liquidate its non-EMDs for some time.

#196833  by Alcoman

2spot,
I was under the impression that Hudson Bay already disposed of those. I will dig up a roster of Hudson Bay and check.

#196947  by 2spot

Hi Alcoman. Omnitrax did sell off or scrap the ex-BRC C-424s (to Ed Bowers) and former BCRail M-420s (1 to Ed Bowers, the rest for scrap) but the former CN units should still be on the property. HBRY bought some of the former SLQ units. This link is only up to date to Sept.'04. http://www.trainweb.org/rosters/HBRY.html

#196989  by N. Todd

None of the C424s have been scrapped-yet. If they were to dispose of them so quickly then why did they buy them in the first place? I think all but one went to the A&M, two (the second order) for parts. The former 603 went to LAL through Ed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

#197096  by 2spot

I could be wrong but I believe A&M only bought three ex-HBRY C-424s. 600, 601 & 604. 603 did go to LAL. Not sure of the others (VLIX?). I believe A&M is using the C-424s as numbers 01, 02 and 03 in active service still in BRC paint. A&M is, as I understand it, power short right now. FYI either Railswap or Vancouver Diesel has pulled the M-420W ad for some reason.

#197435  by N. Todd

I saw a pic of the 605 a few months ago- center hood was removed.

#197453  by GOLDEN-ARM

Here is a sad fact, not fiction. The management at the M&E Railway see no need to continue to run Alcos on the roster. The inside word, from the railroad itself, is that the Alcos WILL be sold, and replaced with EMD power. Tell your people, on Alco powered roads, to put their names in, on the list, for bidders. (I bet BJF is rollin' over in his grave :( ) Regards :(

#197455  by MEC407

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Here is a sad fact, not fiction. The management at the M&E Railway see no need to continue to run Alcos on the roster. The inside word, from the railroad itself, is that the Alcos WILL be sold, and replaced with EMD power.
Not to dispute what you're saying, but why would M&E have made so many Alco purchases fairly recently (the LTV RS11s, the SLQ M420s) if they're planning to dump the Alcos and switch to EMD?

#197460  by GOLDEN-ARM

No need to dispute. Go to the M&E forum, and see for yourself. Al Holluefer is my source, and his source is the CMO of the railroad. The C-430's are gone, the rest will follow shortly. Sorry :(
Last edited by GOLDEN-ARM on Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#197464  by MEC407

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:No need to dispute. Go to the M&E forum, and see for yourself.
I just checked out the M&E forum, and found this post, dated 17 Dec 2005, in the "Morristown Diesel Doings" thread (page 9):
wesley weis wrote:There seems to be a lot of confusion as to the imagined demise of ALCOs on the M&E. I can state for the record that ALCOs WILL BE RUNNING on the M&E for many years to come. The Ex-Amtrak GP-9 is going to Maine to replace the leased GP-15 unit #1501. All other power will be used where and when it is needed. The two ALCOs now in Maine will be brought back to Morristown when another suitable EMD unit can be made ready and delivered to Maine. It is not a case of dependability with the ALCOS. It was a management decision regarding the cost of storing spare parts used in normal maintenance and 92 day inspections such as filters, brushes, brake valves, brake shoes, etc. for two different brands of equipment.

The M&E has a long history with ALCOs, and it is not about to end anytime in the near future.

Wesley R. Weis,
President & CEO
Morristown & Erie Railway & Maine Eastern Railroad
Again, not trying to argue or imply anything... it just seems like there is some conflicting info on this subject.

#197467  by GOLDEN-ARM

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:55 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bumped int M&E CMO Chuck Jensen a couple of days ago and he confirmed several rumors/reports floating around. Both Maine Eastern F40's have been leased to Metro-North for a two-year period for use in ther NJT Hoboken pool. 265 was delivered to NJT last week and is sitting at the MMC by the tower. the second F40 will follow shortly. He also informed me that what many fans suspected is coming to pass. The Alcos will be phased out in the near future as is evidenced by M&E's recent purchase of two EMD units from Amtrak. He said the switcher will probably go to Bayway.

Rumors/reports of a second passenger operation in Maine are not true, though, he said.
Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:55 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was from a page before the one you read. If they love Alcos so much (such as Ben did), why did the C-430's get sold? With all of the Alco's for sale, over the last decade, why are they buying EMD's? I will believe Al, before that other guy. All was a no BS superintendent, when I worked on the M&E, and that "other" guy has fired every original M&E employee that was there with Ben. First the employees, now the Alco's. If the CMO is not aware of what locos he will be maintaining, and which he will be selling, or removing from his roster, then who does know? He orders the parts, schedules the maintanance, etc., and inspects the locos before purchase. If he says they are being removed from the roster, I would believe him. Just my opine, however. Regards :(