Railroad Forums 

• New "FA-1 book" ?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#187446  by NRECer

Anyone got the poop on a new FA-1 book that is being advertised in "Trains" ?

Seem to be yet another subject that is overworked.

Wonder if the author ever laid a hand on the actual item ?

#187774  by EDM5970

If you are asking about the book "Alco FAs, Running in the Shadow", by R. Craig Rutherford (and published by Four Ways West) I've met the author and can assure you that he has indeed "laid a hand on the actual item". The book covers not only the FA-1s, but also the FA-2s and the FPA-4s.

I had a chance to borrow a copy of the book for a few days, and was pretty impressed with the amount of research that went into it's production. There are lots of interesting photos, both inside and out. I spotted a few technical things not quite right, like the mention of the turbocharged EMDs that the FAs competed against when new. There is also a misunderstanding of the difference between the 244 and 251 engine mountings; the author alludes to a difference in the 564 and 581 generator mountings instead.

Overall, though, I thought the book was well done, and I disagree with NRECer's statement that the subject is overworked. The only other book that I can think of that is strictly Alco cab units is Olmstead's (?) "An Acquaintnece With Alco", from many years ago.

#188873  by WM 303

If it is overworked, I'd like to see your library or what you've been reading. You can count the books written about Alco cab units on one hand and have fingers left over.

#188936  by GOLDEN-ARM

I am anxiously awaiting the opportunity to get another shot, at some more Alco knowledge. I am unaware of the "overworked" bit here, as I am unaware of any good historical volumes, regarding the Alco carbody freight units. Perhaps you were thinking of EMD "F" units? Curious, EDM5970, since you reviewed a pre-production copy, were you able to "edit" the info, so it will be accurate in the released form? Seems he would have jumped at the opportunity to have it technically proofed, before rushing it into print. Just a thought...... :wink:

#189023  by EDM5970

No, I didn't review a pre-production copy. The copy I borrowed was purchased at the Gaithersburg (MD) show a few weeks ago; we were surprised to see it out so soon.

I have worked on several of the LIRR units that are coming back as locomotives, and the owner of the units gave the author the "grand tour" and provided photos and other information. I met Mr. Rutherford at that time.

I agree, the EMD F units are an overworked topic; perhaps there was some confusion on NRECer's part there. After all, all cab units are the same, right?