Railroad Forums 

• Six Four Axle Alcos Needed

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#188207  by Komachi

Paul,

I don't think you wasted our time... kinda gives us an excuse to double-check what the status is of certian locomotives, status of how "pure" an ALCo. bastian may still be (i.e. how much infiltration by GE and EMD is there in the roster) and availability of power is for other people in your shoes.

I know I, for one, found this thread interesting. Too bad your search had to be called off so quickly, would have been a mini event here seeing how many units you could find and aquire for your road...

Oh well, don't worry about it, hopefully we can help you out again in the future!
 #188604  by 2spot

Not to nitpick, but just what is a CS-9? Never heard of one.

#188871  by N. Todd

Not to nitpick, but just what is a CS-9? Never heard of one.
CS-9s are S-4s that GTW repowered with a Cummins engine and converted to roller bearings. The same concept as those coal mine units.
 #189031  by 2spot

Had to be kind of successful or it wouldnt still be around. Dont get me wrong, replacing the McIntosh & Seymour with anything less than Alco power is wrong on many levels, but many of the 539 powered switchers that were repowered with Cummins are still in revenue service. Too many S-1,2,3,4s went to the scrapper when the 539 went sour. Whatever the prime mover, this S-4 (or whatever) is a cool alternative to the hordes of GM switchers out there. But then I'm biased, one of my all time favorite road switchers is the BCRail CRS-20.
 #189115  by Alcoman

2spot wrote: Too many S-1,2,3,4s went to the scrapper when the 539 went sour. Whatever the prime mover, this S-4 (or whatever) is a cool alternative to the hordes of GM switchers out there. .
There are many 539 engines still running after 40-60 years which proves when the engine is properly cared for, it will run for a long time.
There is nothing sweeter in sight or sound than a 539 running. The Cummins rebuilds are no match for the 539 in durabity.
 #189154  by 2spot

I dont doubt that. Its been my experience that repowering keeps units alive a while longer and in the case of ALCos (or MLWs, any classic, for that matter) is preferable to scrapping or even (in my opinion) static display. Of course I'd prefer they stayed original or at least all ALCo (251?) but they have to keep wearing out rail to be truly enjoyed. It could be much worse.