Railroad Forums 

• Inside EMD

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#17851  by dcm74

For anyone interested in the construction of EMD locomotives, the Amherst
(MA)Railway Society will present a program by Preston Cook on Tuesday,
May 18th, at 8:00PM. The program is free and open to the public. Mr. Cook is a former Field Service Engineer for EMD.
http://www.AmherstRail.org/Meeting04.05.html

#17989  by Phil Hom

Ah! That's how he was able to get materials for some of his EMD/ Navy-Winton article.

#18380  by RAS

The INSIDE EMD slide program on the original La Grange factory is very unusual, and has been shown at meetings of several railroad historical groups in the Northeast. As the Amherst site describes, it is a combination of a plant tour (in the 1970s) with a step-by-step on how locomotives are built.

#18432  by 498

Just curious, did any of the readers of these postings see this program when it was presented at Jersey Central Chapter of NRHS a month or two ago?

#19030  by RAS

Saw the program at a showing in Massachusetts. I understand some additional material has been added since then. The program narration is not on tape, it is all presented as a lecture. I have been told that some more showings are scheduled in the Boston area later this year.

#19886  by dcm74

Just a reminder that this program is being presented tomorrow, May 18th,
at 8:00PM. It is free and open to all.

#20235  by mxdata

There are several additional showings of this program scheduled at historical society meetings in the Northeast later this year. A showing is planned at Boston Chapter NRHS around November. Did anyone out there get to see the presentation at Amherst?
 #20273  by D.Carleton

I am not an EMD fan per se but Mr. Cook's two hour presentation was well worth the three hour drive from the Empire State. A very informative and heartfelt offering from someone who was there and cares enough to share his story.

#22085  by RAS

He also has done programs based on engine training classes he used to teach, which are centered around the diesel engines (prime movers) as a subject, rather than locomotives or the history of EMD. These have been shown to some non-railroad groups (marine industry and others).

#23615  by mxdata

As information for anyone interested in seeing the program, the date for the showing of INSIDE EMD at the Boston Chapter NRHS is November 12, 2004. I understand this is to be a joint meeting with RRE. I do not know if the Boston Chapter has their own website, so program description can be seen on the Amherst website using the link on the earlier posting in this string by DCM74. At the time I placed this posting, the Amherst Railway Society had the description still available on their website.

#25494  by RAS

I noticed the showing at Boston Chapter NRHS is posted now under the musuems and other organizations column. Are there any other showings planned in the Northeast for groups where attendance is open to the public?

#25989  by dcm74

The following message was received from Mr. Cook. In the meantime keep an eye on the EMD Forum.

There are a number of showings of INSIDE EMD coming up during the rest of this year, but some of them are either group meetings requiring registration, or members' day events at major museums. The Boston Chapter NRHS meeting on November 12th is open to the general public. Of course there is the possibility of additional showings developing, depending on the availability of time to do them and the cost of travel to the locations. Several possible presentations of INSIDE EMD are under discussion at this time, including the possiblity of showing the program in the midwest and on the west coast.

#26684  by PCook

-----
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#27122  by PCook

-----
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#29456  by Phil Hom

Mr. Cook
Could you contact me off line at [email protected].

aka emdcollector (ebay)