Railroad Forums 

• Stanley Yard to Reopen

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#15003  by CG Tower

As if those of us here in Northwest Ohio did not see this one coming...rumor has it that Stanley Yard is going to be "officially" reactivated in some capacity next week!

Look for the ever changing train routings to continue for a while. My bet is that Q508 will once again polish the northwest connection at Deshler.

CG Tower

#15268  by matt

Were tracks removed from Stanley yet or is the facility still complete?

#15335  by CG Tower

[quote="matt"]Were tracks removed from Stanley yet or is the facility still complete?[/quote]

Tracks were not removed as the yard was only "closed" per se for about 4 weeks. It sounds as if though cars were stored there in the down time, so no, everything is as is when it closed.

CG

#15417  by MR77100

Is this yard on the remains of the abandoned T&OC line to Fostoria? how do you reach Stanley Yard?

#15470  by chessie8212

To get to Stanley from I-75 South:

Exit on Oregon/Wales Rd exit.
Turn left at the stoplight at the top of the ramp.
Follow this road (Wales Rd) to Oregon Rd
Turn right on Oregon Rd and follow this all the way through the campus of Owens CC.
Immediately after the campus of Owens is a set of CSX tracks and on the other side of those tracks is Walbridge Rd on the left side.
Follow Walbridge Rd west and you will reach the Stanley Yard leads

A trip just a bit further on Walbridge Rd will take you to Walbridge Yard

The directions are the same from I-75 North except that you will turn right after exiting at Wales/Oregon Rd.

#15483  by CG Tower

[quote="MR77100"]Is this yard on the remains of the abandoned T&OC line to Fostoria? how do you reach Stanley Yard?[/quote]

Yes it is...Stanley is unique in that is is "stub end"...the south end has a rather long hump lead (which is the original T&OC main) and then stops. This is what CSX wanted to connect to it's former C&O main line a few miles away but local opposition stopped it's expansion.

I would recommend not driving into the yard complex or the engine facilities. Unfortuatnely, these two areas are a little hard to see from the nearby public streets. The north end of Stanley however is bi-sected by Walbridge Road, a public drive.

CG[/quote]

#15540  by chessie8212

There is a public road that runs right next to the entire west side of Walbridge Yard. It's Luckey Road and it is on the right side of Walbridge Road before you reach the yard. From this road, you can get a good look (albeit from your moving car, so be careful) at the yard's length.

#16345  by ToledoTerminalRy

Honestly I dont think Stanley Yard EVER closed "perse" there were always strings of cars here, I think all they had to do was maintenance to the main tracks through Stanley Yard (the old T&OC Main to the hump) and some other major points, like the enigne facility and lines on that side. They DID replace alot of track around the hump.

Stanley Yards hump is very visible from Ayers road from the West going East on Ayers. I always go here whenever I visit the yard. It is completely LEGAL there are no "No Trespassing" signs untill the first track into the yard. When I go I go past the first service road to the service road to the Engine house, just before the road on the right side. I usually get the guys to stop by and talk, one did say that the workers there get a kick out of me 'cuz I show up so often. Also that where I sit is fine, just if a semi comes get out of its way, and I CANNOT go into the yard from Ayers, that IS ILLEGAL.

:D

#16991  by mike

Took a quick drive by Stanley today on my way back from home, and while there's a few cuts of cars here and there, there's nothing much sitting around. The signals at the north end of the yard were still showing red too. Just thought I'd pass this along..

#17003  by chessie8212

I was by there at about 7:00 or so tonight and there were two trains assembled and waiting to head out. There was also a set of locos shunting some cars around. Took a drive by the south end of the yard and there were quite a few cuts on the East side of the yard, but the west tracks, near the hump, were just about empty. There was some back and forth moves between there and Walbridge.

#17755  by MR77100

In an aerial view of Stanley Yard, it looks like there is a junction on the south side, with a tower. Are those tracks still there what crosses? It's hard to tell from the photo.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/csx/csx-stayd-ggj.jpg

#17796  by CG Tower

MR77100 wrote:In an aerial view of Stanley Yard, it looks like there is a junction on the south side, with a tower. Are those tracks still there what crosses? It's hard to tell from the photo.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/csx/csx-stayd-ggj.jpg
Neat photo..

Actually, we are looking at the north end of Stanley Yard, the Tower is Stanley Tower and the interlocking is the crossing of the former Toledo Terminal Railroad.

The south end is stub end with no exit to any main line.

CG Tower

#18036  by MR77100

Is that tower still in operation? How busy is that junction?

#18424  by oregontrunkline

This evening (May 8th) I made my first visit to Walbridge and Stanley since the "closure." Found probably a dozen units (including an unidentified Santa Fe yellow bonnet) parked on several tracks at the north end of Walbridge. Only power in former Stanley engine facility was five remote units. CN 2652/5694/5764 and CSX 2577/1177 were working the north end of Stanley, and one CSX unit (SD40?) was poking around along the west side of the yard.

Several surprises at Walbridge, by the way. CSX 2667 in full SBD paint ws switching with remote 9156. HLCX and remote 9152 were also switching. Two more CN units, 5676/5928, were parked at the north end, and BNSF 7913/6958, in BN and SF paint respectively, arrived southbound.