Railroad Forums 

• Any good Alcos for Sale out there?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#172998  by RS-3

So what's available out there? I know a couple of railroads that are looking for Alcos. What have they got to pick from? DB are a plus but not a must. 26 air is also a plus. Ready-to-run or fixer upper?

RS

#173182  by MEC407

Here is an ex-Army unit with only 200 miles on it:

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/Omr ... LocoDiesel

#173481  by Alcoman

The Windsor & Hantsport has 7-8 MLW RS-23's for sale plus a parts units.

#173791  by MEC407

This company has an S2 (with lots of new parts) for sale or lease:

http://www.nilwirailway.com/

#173792  by AmtrakFan

There were a few BCR Alco's up for sale until recently.

#174308  by NRECer

$ 65K for that piece of unsupportable junk !!! Those guys must be smoking some unknown variety of high grade Ozark Mt. crack !!!!

Seriously-the best use of those things is as parts fodder so that 'purebred' RS-3's can operate for another couple of decades.

#174776  by Paul

Not exactly sure what you determine is an "unsupportable" locomotive.
I am currently bringing back to life an RSX4 and have not had any trouble getting injector pumps and nozzles remanufactired as well as a new water pump (with warrenty), along with gaskets, seals etc. Just need to know where to look. With only 800 hours showing on the meter, this one is a good runner and will be better when I am finished. Ugly as sin? Yes they are, how ever if I had an RS3 or FA2 that I needed a gen set for, I would certainly consider purchasing an ex-military low hour 244 locomotive, and have all contactors and relays needed to make everything work, and spare parts to boot.

#175157  by MEC407

#175424  by Alcoman

That Bay Colony S4 has been up for sale for years. They are asking way too much for it. Thats why it has not been sold yet.

#175447  by MEC407

What would be a fair price for it?

#175461  by Alcoman

Given the present market for Alco switchers of this type and without knowing its condition, I would say about $10-15,000.
Keep in mind that a Alco S-6 would get more in the $15-20,000 range because of the 251 engine which is fully supportable.
Just for a point of reference, the Windsor & Hantsport is asking $ 65,000 USD each for a MLW RS-23. This price is also way out of line. They should be no more than $ 25,000 each in running condition.

#175489  by MEC407

I, too, was surprised at the price of the W&H RS23s, but others who claim to be more "in the loop" than I thought that the price was reasonable.

A few years ago when Guilford was selling their last two U18Bs, the price was $60K each. Non-negotiable. I thought that was too high at the time, but in retrospect, and with all due respect to those of you who hate GEs, it was more reasonable than $65K for an RS-23.

#178191  by sallenparks

I put this on another subject on this forum the LR&W C420's will be for sale soon now that GWI owns the railroad I dont think they will stay to much longer.