Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#171047  by Otto Vondrak

What is the current status of the Beacon Line? Does MN still use it for training and equipment moves?

When I was 8, an MN conductor swore to me that MN was going to start running the Hudson Line as far as Albany... by 1987.

-otto-

#171062  by DutchRailnut

MNCR has a track equipment operator school at Hopewell Jct.
there are pieces of different track and third rail on yard track .
Currently only inspection train traverses the Beacon line ones or twice a year.
The DRM has not organized any fan trips or there would be more moves.
Trackspeed is 25 mph passenger and 10 mph freight.

#171100  by Nester

DutchRailnut wrote:No service is contemplated on Berkshire line as HRRC will not let CDOT/MNCR on their line.
As far as going further north of Wassaic MNCR's job is to take care of commuter in New York. its CDOT's respoinibility to take care of Connecticut commuters.
If MNCR were to go futher north are Columbia county residents willing to pay taxes to get CT/MA commuters to work ???
Maybe if the towns and villages controlled the lots and charged a hefty-non NY resident fee.

Nester

#171952  by pnaw10

Otto Vondrak wrote: When I was 8, an MN conductor swore to me that MN was going to start running the Hudson Line as far as Albany... by 1987.
Same as when I was young and living in New Hamburg, and I was told they'd have third-rail service up to Poughkeepsie by 2000. They got the high-level platforms built, but that's it. Oh well...
 #182999  by railtrailbiker

While walking from Beacon Station south along the new rail trail there, I noticed a siding that leaves the southbound main, loops into the trail ROW, then heads back southeast (I believe back to the southbound main).

Anyone know what this is used for? There's a gate to insure trail users don't wander up to the main, but the gate can be opened to allow a train to access the route.

#183003  by DutchRailnut

Its the Beacon line to Danbury.
The trail was not supose to impede on the tracks.

#183021  by railtrailbiker

Isn't a portion of the Danbury Line slated to become a rail trail? From somewhere near Brewster I believe, east to Danbury?

What will be the purpose of this branch to Beacon then? Does it connect with any other active MN branch?

#183029  by DutchRailnut

Not that I know off, they have been inquiring about it, but the rail is still active and FRA would not allow a railtrail without a minimum setback from railroad.

#183043  by railtrailbiker

Please see references to Danbury, CT in this recent news article about the Putnam Trailway.
The Putnam Trailway runs for 7.5 miles from Westchester County at Baldwin Place Road into the hamlet of Carmel at Seminary Hill Road. A contractor is to begin work this week on another link — along Route 6 from Croton Falls Road to Mount Hope Road, where bicyclists and hikers currently use the shoulders, Pilner said.

Survey work will begin soon on a section that will go from Route 6 near Guideposts and along the path of the former Putnam Division of the New York Central Railroad. It will then go to Brewster and connect with the Maybrook Bikeway, a planned 13.6-mile route from the Pawling-Patterson border through Southeast. It will end at the Danbury, Conn., border, officials said.
http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs ... 020/NEWS04

#183051  by DutchRailnut

anyone can have plans but did anyone consult with MNCR/MTA.
The Beacon line(ex Maybrook) is still an active rail line.

#183114  by emfinite

Dutch,

What types of moves and how often are the moves made on this branch? I was on the Beacon Line fan trip last year, but the answers to those questions slipped my mind.

Thanks,
Joe

#183123  by railtrailbiker

The proposed Maybrook Bikeway may be a "rail with trail" proejct. That is, the active rail line will remain in place, but a trail will run in parallel.

#183305  by Otto Vondrak

The Beacon Line/Maybrook was a double track ROW, so in theory there should be enough room for "rails with trails." With the Croton Bridge out of service in Brewster, the Beacon Line's usefulness for equipment transfers is out... I assume that part of the line is still used for engineer training classes?

-otto-

#183343  by pnaw10

I also think it's worth noting that the only line specifically mentioned in the article was the former Putnam Division -- not to be confused with the Beacon Line or the Harlem Line. The other places in the article, in my opinon, were somewhat vague about exactly where the trail will run. They didn't necessarily say it'll go along the existing Beacon Line track.

But if that IS what the trail people are planning, then I would have to side with Dutch -- it depends on how much clearance the FRA requires between the trail and the tracks. Maybe not much, but it may be enough to keep the trail from happening. And, if MTA owns the property, it can say no. As a cyclist, I'm all for a trail, especially along a line passengers rarely get the chance to see... but if MTA would rather keep it closed off (perhaps for training as Otto mentioned), that's MTA's perogative.

Besides, do we know if the Croton Bridge is permanently done for, or is there a chance it could be repaired? If the Beacon Line is currently the only "upper" connection between all three lines, I would think it makes sense to keep it active. Yes, you can run a train down to MO and back up any other line if need be, but I would think the extra access would make certain moves easier or faster.

#183409  by MNRR_RTC

emfinite wrote:Dutch,

What types of moves and how often are the moves made on this branch? I was on the Beacon Line fan trip last year, but the answers to those questions slipped my mind.

Thanks,
Joe
The Beacon Line is currently out of service by Bulletin Order (I believe though I am not sure) from block limit River to State Line. All the crossings are out service as well and the max speed limit is 25 for passenger and 10 for freight. I know that there are track patrols that run on the Beacon Line and the occasional railfan train. The Harlem RTC controls the Beacon Line and the Houstantonic controls from State Line to Danbury. Hope this helps Joe.