Railroad Forums 

• Arkansas and Missouri Railway operations and locomotives

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#168883  by txbritt

About 6 months ago the 420's, and T-6's were replaced with Geep 38's, and SW-1500's.

#169053  by txbritt

silly boy.
Silly? Most definately.

Boy? Nah, not by far.

My reply was done only as a joke folks,.... that is all.

TxBritt

#170094  by fnwjohn

Just got back from the area, can provide some insight. A&M has all 5 M420s from Ohio Central on property, but all were in the shop area. They are using 2 of the ex BRC/Hudson Bay Rwy C424s in daily service. I believe it was 601 and 602 were used every night as trailing units on the Ft Smith turn. Also saw C424 600 on the deadline with many parts gone, and the hood sections of one of the other 424s, which has probably been scrapped (assuming that was 604). They also appeared to be cutting up one of the original C420s, but I couldn't make out the number (was one of the 60 series units). The Ft Smith turn now goes on duty at 1800, not in the morning like it used to be, and the Monett job is on days now.

#170143  by A&MWatcher

I think that you might have things a little wrong, the 3 MLW420's are in the shop area. The one HR-412 is on the to be repaired track. The 64 and 30 are on the to be repaired track. The 600 is on the to be repaired track in the same state of repair when bought. The 01 and 02 are being used in local switching durning the day and sometimes on the night jobs.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

A&M Watcher

#170157  by Alcoman

I will making a trip down there in a couple of weeks. I assume that none of the M420's are repainted yet?
Is the railroad railfan friendly like they used to be or has that changed?

#170195  by txbritt

No, they are not railfan friendly. It is a working railroad not a museum, and as of 9/2001 they have a no trespassing policy.

TxBritt

A&M

#171273  by SD Shortline

Alcoman,

I was just down there last week with family, the excursion train was awesome. #66 was the power.

There were pretty picky about people being around in the Ft. Smith 6th St. yard area. As mentioned they have plenty of signs. They didn't seem to mind a view from the public.

SD Shortline, native to Arkansas

#171281  by Alcoman

Just tried to make Motel reservations and found every motel booked up.
The reason: Hurricane victem housing!
Will try again next year.

#173463  by Legio X

Can anyone clarify which units are being scrapped? I thought the C420's were all in top-shape? Are all the T-6's in service? Is there any truth to a rumour of A&M acquiring the Minnesota Commercial's RS-23?

#173479  by Alcoman

I don't think there are any C420's that destined to be scrapped other the one that have been parted out already.
If that rumor is true, it would surprise me as they need more high horsepower units, not switchers.
 #173881  by joydivision350125

Could we get an update? You're the guy who would know!

What are numbering plans for the M and HR units?

#174242  by A&MWatcher

Which C-420 has been parted out? I didn't see any C-420's parted.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.