Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1534474  by b&m 1566

It appears we might be seeing even more winter operations, in winters to come, maybe next year, maybe not but one thing's for certain, ownership has intentions to make the railroad, more of year-round operation. I think it’s safe to say, we will at least be seeing these shuttle trains during the two school vacation weeks every year, from this point forward. It's been a collaborative effort of businesses in the Mt. Washington valley and beyond, that have been working together for years to make the valley more than just a skiing and a shopping attraction during the winter. There's tons of year round activities and winter activities both indoors and outdoors and ownership, sees an opportunity to not only work with the community (by providing shuttle services) but to add another peace to the winter attraction and help not only the railroads business grow but the Mt. Washington Valley's business grow and truly become a winter destination for all, young and old, thrill seekers and those looking to sit back and relax.

https://www.conwaydailysun.com/business ... 38e96.html
 #1536288  by b&m 1566

I took a look at their schedule and noticed they only have the month of April (minus opening weekend, which will kick of with the Easter Bunny Express) and early May posted with very little mentioned about upcoming events for this year. One significant addition is the daily departures (using RDC), during MA & NH school vacation weeks in April. Any idea what the delay is for posting the rest of the schedule and events? The notch train schedule has been posted for quite some time now and with Fridays added.
 #1536308  by b&m 1566

drvmusic wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:41 am Does anyone know if they are doing Railfans over Labor Day weekend this year?
I can't answer that but I did notice Saturday, June 27th is not showing up for a notch train departure, which is the same day as the 5th Annual Air Show at the Whitefield Airport. I'm going to guess and say they will be running another train to the airshow for that event with a much earlier departure from the norm.
 #1536343  by CSRR573

drvmusic wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:41 am Does anyone know if they are doing Railfans over Labor Day weekend this year?
I really Hope not. I understand why they switch with all the extra people up there that weekend. But aside from both trips to the diamond, since the move to labor day railfans weekend hasnt had the same feel when it was on a random weekend in late september/early october
 #1536345  by b&m 1566

They haven't had Railfans Weekend in October, since 2005 and I don't see it going back, the railroad has gotten a lot bigger and a far more busier during that time of year, than they were 15 years ago. After it was moved to September, it seemed to me that it was used as the kick off to their fall foliage season (daily notch trains started and extended to Fabyan Station at that time) for a number of years, which for me was my favorite. But as I was told last year, they are getting too busy to even offer that now and although service to Fabyan Station hasn't change all that much, daily service on the notch train now starts well before it. So, if not early September, then maybe early November? The last notch train this year, is November 14th, so it's definitely doable now and with only two regular valley departures that time of year (assuming they stick to the norm), it opens up the schedule to really do some unique stuff around that train.
 #1537149  by b&m 1566

For those who do not engage in social networks, the following was released yesterday (as of this writing, this statement was not posted to their website).

David A. Swirk

March 18, 2020

To Our Guests and Employees,

Conway Scenic Railroad is committed to the safety and well-being of our guest and employees. We are closely watching the unfolding events relating to the containment of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and how that may affect our ability to begin our operating season. We will continue to assess the situation using information provided by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) to make the best possible judgment regarding our train operations. We will follow all standard recommended precautions to ensure a safe environment for all of our guests and employees, while planning for our 2020 operating season.

Thank you,

David A. Swirk
President and General Manager
 #1537216  by p42thedowneaster

Might be time to think outside the box for at least the first part of the season. I wonder if they could do some unique photo charters. Money to support it could come via donations, crowdfunding, or pledges.

I'd love to see 7470 take a short freight or even just take a couple of the old red coaches over the notch. Or how about a long freight over the notch...maybe 30 cars (do they still store cars near Hazens?)
 #1537220  by b&m 1566

Although there's no need to cancel yet, I'm expecting April will be canceled. If you go by what the president and the CDC are saying and look at all the data being shown to "flatten the curve", this might not go away till July, August. If that's the case you can forget the summer too but with any luck (and hopefully many lives saved) they will be able to operate for the fall foliage season. What our economy and the global economy looks like at the end of this, remains to be seen but if you were to go by the small sample we have thus far, it's not looking to good, so who knows if people will have the extra money to spend.
 #1537243  by gokeefe

p42thedowneaster wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:29 pm Might be time to think outside the box for at least the first part of the season. I wonder if they could do some unique photo charters. Money to support it could come via donations, crowdfunding, or pledges.
Simply wouldn't be enough cash. Their bread and butter vacation customer has vanished into thin air.