Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1533715  by MattAmity90

It's been 10 days since New Hyde Park Road closed to traffic, and two weeks since a train went through it. As soon as the clock struck midnight, they got right on it. Already the concrete has been ripped out, signals ripped out, the road has been fenced off, and they have dug deep on the South side.
As for the station, all the mushroom light heads have been removed :( I WANT ONE! The platforms are now being demolished with the tracks receiving ballast. My guess is that the bridge will be constructed to the South in an eventual pit. Here's a snapshot taken on February 5th just two days after the road closed.
New Hyde Park Rd. 2/5/2020
New Hyde Park Rd. 2/5/2020
Screenshot (491).png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 2942 times
 #1539546  by MattAmity90

Power pole replacement is underway at New Hyde Park and Carle Place. At Carle Place, they are erecting steel erector set poles (the kind you see on the Babylon Branch).
 #1539597  by Andrew Saucci

I can see five of those poles from my office window in Carle Place. They are much taller than anything that is already there, which makes me wonder why they need to be so high. I also can see the beginning of the new overpass with elevator shafts. I only know what I can see from the office window; on my last essential trip to Manhattan three weeks ago, I elected to drive, and I've been avoiding taking the train from Carle Place on account of the construction anyway, so I haven't been any closer than the office window.
 #1539682  by MattAmity90

Andrew Saucci wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:04 pm I can see five of those poles from my office window in Carle Place. They are much taller than anything that is already there, which makes me wonder why they need to be so high. I also can see the beginning of the new overpass with elevator shafts. I only know what I can see from the office window; on my last essential trip to Manhattan three weeks ago, I elected to drive, and I've been avoiding taking the train from Carle Place on account of the construction anyway, so I haven't been any closer than the office window.
The reason why they are so much taller is so that it doesn't take up much space. Honestly I applaud the LIRR for putting up the steel poles because it saves wood, and it reduces the chances of downed wires. The steel poles in Suffolk and Nassau County East of Freeport were erected from 1968-1980. The poles are actually reinforced, and thinner than most.

Construction of eliminating New Hyde Park Road's grade crossing continues despite the pandemic. More excavation is ongoing North of the tracks, and the pit where they are building the new underpass is completed. Construction of the underpass is just starting, and is scheduled to be installed in July, with the road reopening a month or two afterwards.
 #1541837  by MattAmity90

Updates on the project going from Hicksville to Floral Park:

1.) School Street grade crossing will officially be closed to traffic on Monday May 18th to begin elimination. Closure will last 6 months.
2.) Carle Place seems to be the spot seeing most of the non-grade crossing construction with the following.
2a.) Elevator frames have been erected.
2b.) Power pole replacement and relocation is well underway with steel poles and wooden poles in between those poles.
3.) This week is the beginning of refurbishing the Meadowbrook and Glen Cove Road bridges to accommodate the third track.
4.) Relocation of utilities and continued preparatory work to eliminate the Willis Avenue grade crossing is ongoing. Closure TBD.
5.) Temporary platforms at Mineola have been constructed.
6.) Elevator shaft frames have been erected at Merillon Avenue with both platforms having canopy work nearing completion with steel power poles to the South of the tracks. It seems the power lines will go from North of the ROW to the South of the ROW.
7.) Excavation and pitting continues at New Hyde Park Road. It seems like two pits have been set up. The blueprints have the bridge as having a wall (like Herricks Road) with barrels on the median. Might be some fusing when they get underway with box-jacking it in July.
8.) Platform footings and excavation has begun at New Hyde Park for the platforms and pedestrian underpass at 12th Street. Power line relocation is also coming up.
 #1541844  by Head-end View

Matt, where are you getting that date for the School St. closing? Originally it was scheduled for June, I thought. But the sooner they close it, the sooner it gets completed. :-D
 #1542008  by MattAmity90

Head-end View wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:26 pm Matt, where are you getting that date for the School St. closing? Originally it was scheduled for June, I thought. But the sooner they close it, the sooner it gets completed. :-D
It's not just in New York, but in several states. Due to the pandemic where most people are staying at home, road projects are being completed ahead of schedule because the traffic volume has been cut to about 1/3 of what we normally see and there are less people walking around. This allows further uninterrupted schedules, and since the amount of trains is less (90% of the passengers are healthcare workers) that gives them more ample opportunity with chances of incidents involving people dropping. My source is aModernLIRR by the way.
 #1542046  by Pensyfan19

MattAmity90 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:21 am
Head-end View wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:26 pm Matt, where are you getting that date for the School St. closing? Originally it was scheduled for June, I thought. But the sooner they close it, the sooner it gets completed. :-D
It's not just in New York, but in several states. Due to the pandemic where most people are staying at home, road projects are being completed ahead of schedule because the traffic volume has been cut to about 1/3 of what we normally see and there are less people walking around. This allows further uninterrupted schedules, and since the amount of trains is less (90% of the passengers are healthcare workers) that gives them more ample opportunity with chances of incidents involving people dropping. My source is aModernLIRR by the way.
That's also the case for the L train tunnel project, since that was finished ahead of schedule too. After all, it does make sense to get most of your construction work (or PTC testing like NJT right now) done while there are fewer trains and passengers while everyone is ordered to stay home.
 #1542862  by Jeff Smith

More on School St.: https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... ing--60471
The MTA Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) on May 18 will begin reconstructing what is now the School Street grade crossing in Westbury, New York, into a two-lane grade separated underpass.
The School Street project began with utility relocation in September 2019, followed by LIRR signal modification last month.

A new bridge to span the crossing is scheduled to be moved into place on Sept. 12-13, and the newly built roadway below the bridge is expected to reopen in November.
 #1542893  by MattAmity90

The New Hyde Park Road elimination has now set a pace that could see the project done ahead of schedule. Excavation is continuing of course, but they have already built the side walls going down the slope, and putting together the walkways in the pit on the Southern side. Speaking of pits, they have the bridge under construction already but I'm skeptical on the width of the road. I'm not sure if it's Edward's camera lens zoomed in or out, but it will be a tight squeeze, but it gives the illusion that 4 lanes would not fit in between the walls.
South side of NHP Road. I think there are 2 pits.
South side of NHP Road. I think there are 2 pits.
New-Hyde-Park-1-1200x565.jpg (127.89 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
 #1543085  by workextra

Hi, It has been a while since I passed NHP Road, but I can tell you I remember seeing something that appeared as if the NB/SB lanes would be separated by a wall. Can someone elaborate on this?
 #1543668  by Pensyfan19

Mineola station to be closed on May 26 for preparation of the third track. Temporary platforms for this station will be used starting on Tuesday, 5/26. This is the last chance to get your last shots of Mineola before major third track construction, and maybe the last time we can see Nassau Tower. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZIBQk9xymA
 #1543689  by MattAmity90

Found this being constructed to the South of New Hyde Park Road. Even though this photo was taken in April, it turns out it is not two pits. The entire four-lane wide span is one piece, with the median column support included. This project is moving swiftly if not quicker than expected due to the pandemic.

At Carle Place, the original wooden poles next to the WB platform or Platform A, had their top halves cut down. The wires have been transferred to the steel and new wooden poles, but the two lower wires and insulators are still strewn.
New Hyde Park Road tunnel pit.
New Hyde Park Road tunnel pit.
NHPR.jpg (99.54 KiB) Viewed 1367 times