Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1531543  by NHV 669

b&m 1566 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:35 pmDidn't the tank car originally hold oil for engine #108?
I think that is correct; there was a conversation regarding those two pieces of equipment while waiting for the return of 7470 to Fourth Iron on 1/4.
 #1531622  by BandA

presumably oil floats to the top. Use water with oil residue in it to make steam, oil residue goes away after 2-3 times? You wouldn't want to use detergent and water then dump it on the ground as that would be bad. Someone could have gone inside with protective gear and a squeegee or giant spatula, or maybe they have something that can be operated from outside that scrapes.
 #1531651  by b&m 1566

What about sandblasting?
I don't know what they do with all their hazmat fluids, I would assume they probably have a contract with Clean Harbors or a similar company to dispose of their waste properly. When I worked as a pedal driver for a local trucking company, they had a small contract with Clean Harbors, we used to pick up and deliver certain items (drums and what not) to auto mechanics and other types of business.
 #1532110  by shadyjay

According to their site, they are running Feb 15-29, daily, with 7 trips each day. That's a pretty aggressive schedule for a first-time event and a 2-week period. The "departures every 90 minutes" results in perhaps the use of 2 trainsets... even more aggressive. But that period is February vacation which can get pretty busy in that neck of the woods.

It's good to try new things... hope its successful for them!
 #1532127  by b&m 1566

To those who have been saying this would eventually happen (going back the last 5 to 10 years now), bravo you nailed it; unfortunately I was not so optimistic. I certainly don't think this would have ever happened under Russ but the new owners are very aggressive (for the betterment of the railroad) and I like it. It gives me hope, that my long standing wish to see the notch train in operation over Memorial Day weekend, might actually have a chance of coming to fruition.
 #1532375  by b&m 1566

With daily trips to Crawford's, I wonder if Fabyan's will see any summer service, like a Friday, Saturday extension. They used to run something similar back in the first few years of the notch train but I think that was Saturday's only.
 #1532445  by b&m 1566

I believe it was in 1996, when they needed to start making repairs for a washout just east of Willey Brook Bridge. Aside from that, 1983 was the last time.
 #1532483  by b&m 1566

The notch train is not daily but they did add Friday's, so Sunday's and Monday's are still off days. Originally service was supposed to start June 9th (according to their website) but has been pushed back to the 16th. No Fabyan's during the summer and no notch trains for Memorial Day Weekend, or the early Saturdays in June. Fabyan service is daily September 19th - October 17th then daily to Crawford's till the 31st. Saturday departures added November 7th and 14th for the notch train.
 #1532558  by gokeefe

b&m 1566 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:54 am I believe it was in 1996, when they needed to start making repairs for a washout just east of Willey Brook Bridge. Aside from that, 1983 was the last time.
There were CSRX passenger trains running through in February of 1996??

By 1983 are you referring to the final freight run?
 #1532580  by b&m 1566

No, it was a snow plow extra and a few work trains that brought supplies to the site of the washout. And yes the winter of 1982/83 was the final because Guilford shut down the notch for the winter 83/84. Although now that I think of it, a local out of Portland continued to operate year round to N. Conway up until the strike or shortly there after but I'm not sure if they ever had a reason to go to Bartlett.