Railroad Forums 

• European night trains

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1530131  by David Benton

It appears Swedish night trains may be getting a direct boost, While other long distance services may be getting a patronage boost from people choosing to avoid flying.
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2019 ... for-trains
 #1530162  by Gilbert B Norman

I'm now committed to go to Salzburg during August . The $2236 Business Class ORD-MUC fare was too good to be true (prior years average has been about $3700; also, a chance to fly on a B-787 Dreamliner, which will be new to me).

While DB has not yet opened reservations for August, at present they offer a Deluxe Bedroom. The Munich-Rome itinerary I outlined earlier coulda just happen. Also, I just might opt for a new hotel near the Hbf that has "rooms with a view" - and a lower rate. Hardly a Four Star, but I'd only be there four nights if I do the Night Jet to Rome, and back.

Here's the noted hotel:

https://360perspektiven.com/projekte/ar ... dson=false
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1530168  by David Benton

Mr Norman, I guess you have already set your travel dates, but my immediate thought was , Whats the rush" ?
Personally, a day in Rome wouldn't even scratch the surface. It would only whet the appetite for more. I'm not overly into historic buildings etc, (far prefer natural beauty), I would easily recommend 2 days to a week in Rome. And at least a night stroll, to take in some of the Italian atmosphere.
OTOH, I guess it would give you an idea of whether a longer trip next time would be desirable.
 #1530184  by CarterB

Mr. Norman, the Arte Salzburg is brand new, opened spring 2019. Trip Advisor gives it a four star review. Should be very nice for you, and certainly convenient. Salzburg itself is quite nice and historic. The rail trip MUC to Salzburg is also quite nice. On the way, if you like, could be a side trip to Berchtesgaden in the alps. Could take the Obersalzburg cable car or the Jennerbahn cable car to the top of alps, fantastic view over alps and lake Königssee, or even Hitler's Eagles Nest.
Last edited by CarterB on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1530189  by Gilbert B Norman

Messrs. Benton and Morris, I'm attending three concerts in Salzburg over Saturday and Sunday (and they already have my €520 for them). I arrive Thursday and need most of that day to travel from MUC to Salzburg and need Friday to "recover". So that means I only have Mon and Tue for this joyride, as I'm on Big Bird Wednesday for "The Longest Day".

I can't think of when I was last gone for more than ten days. Even though my Sister thinks nothing of going to Australia for six weeks (and staying with relatives), after ten days, I become of the "my house, my bills" mindset.

As August approaches, I just may decide that this joyride and staying at this "trendy new" hotel is "too much for a 79yo", and simply revert to my usual hotel, where the General Manager, reception, and restaurant staff know me by name, for the six nights.

Finally Mr. Morris, while yes TA does have top tier reviews for Arte, they also have some rather adverse ones. All of the side trips you note I've done. The salt mine excursion I couldn't go on account age, also I was not to go on the Obersalzberg cable car, but nobody stopped me last year.
 #1530329  by ExCon90

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:00 am As August approaches, I just may decide that this joyride and staying at this "trendy new" hotel is "too much for a 79yo", and simply revert to my usual hotel, where the General Manager, reception, and restaurant staff know me by name, for the six nights.obody stopped me last year.
I viewed both links, and I know that the Pitter is a long-established hotel in excellent standing; at the risk of volunteering unsolicited advice, I'd say that since you're comfortable there, and they know you there, don't throw that away lightly. You can always stay at a new hotel somewhere you haven't been.
 #1531619  by David Benton

"Lying not flying, as Nightjet sleeper train reaches Brussels"
https://www.railwaygazette.com/passenge ... 79.article

Only twice a week seems strange for Europe.
Check out the linked stories , most we have already covered , I think.
 #1531639  by CarterB

OBB is doing a good job replacing the DB City Night Line. I hope they continue to explore and establish more sleeper trains to city pairs and routes.
I'd particularly like one from Hamburg to Prague, Vienna, Budapest.
 #1532092  by ExCon90

The link suggests that Hamburg is being considered for a future route. It has been reported that the traditional route from Copenhagen to Hamburg via Roedby-Puttgarden has been permanently discontinued pending completion of a Fehmarn tunnel and in the meantime service is being operated via the Storebaelt tunnel and Flensburg, which might put Hamburg out of the way en route to Cologne--I'll dig out a DB map to see what's possible.

My first impression is that Stockholm-London is a bit of a stretch, apparently requiring a change at Malmoe and a 6 am arrival at Cologne, thence presumably Thalys to Brussels and Eurostar to London (for me, a 6 am change of trains at Cologne would detract from the convenience of overnight travel; extending the Malmoe train to Brussels would help a lot.) If you're originating in Malmoe the departure time is convenient, but leaving from Stockholm would require an early afternoon departure, while a direct flight would get you to London in time for dinner. I think other city pairs would offer a better chance of competing with air travel.
 #1532094  by CarterB

ExCon90 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:28 pm The link suggests that Hamburg is being considered for a future route. It has been reported that the traditional route from Copenhagen to Hamburg via Roedby-Puttgarden has been permanently discontinued pending completion of a Fehmarn tunnel and in the meantime service is being operated via the Storebaelt tunnel and Flensburg, which might put Hamburg out of the way en route to Cologne--I'll dig out a DB map to see what's possible
When I took the previous DB nite trains from Copenhagen to Cologne via Flensburg, they went through Hamburg, but not sure if they stopped in middle of night.
 #1532168  by ExCon90

CarterB wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:58 pm
ExCon90 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:28 pm The link suggests that Hamburg is being considered for a future route. It has been reported that the traditional route from Copenhagen to Hamburg via Roedby-Puttgarden has been permanently discontinued pending completion of a Fehmarn tunnel and in the meantime service is being operated via the Storebaelt tunnel and Flensburg, which might put Hamburg out of the way en route to Cologne--I'll dig out a DB map to see what's possible
When I took the previous DB nite trains from Copenhagen to Cologne via Flensburg, they went through Hamburg, but not sure if they stopped in middle of night.
I checked the Schweers + Wall atlas, and the route does go through Hamburg, but based on the time at Copenhagen it would be well after midnight. What might work--and maybe this is what they have in mind--a train could originate in Hamburg in early evening and operate through to Brussels, arriving at a time that would permit a connection for London. As it stands now, there are some border formalities in Brussels for passengers destined to London, since the UK is not a party to the Schengen agreement; I guess what effect Brexit will have on that remains to be seen. It certainly seems that Hamburg-Paris would be doable for an overnight train.

Has it been announced what motive power will be used on the Malmoe-Cologne train?