Railroad Forums 

• Re: 2019 Commuter Rail Delay Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1531631  by Diverging Route

This will be a cool ride :)

Due to a power issue, Providence Train 802 (4:45 am from Wickford Junction) will operate with minimum lighting & without (heat or AC) today. Passengers may consider Train 806 (5:45 am from Wickford Junction) for better travel conditions.

Affected direction: Inbound

Affected trips:
802 (4:45 am from Wickford Junction)
 #1531885  by RenegadeMonster

Still signal issues in the outbound direction on the Eastern Tonight.

I was on train 167 tonight and we experienced a new one.

We were stopped at a bad stop signal and got permission from dispatch to pass it. But we only manage to pull forward 10 feet and we got a "Penalty".

I'm assuming that means PTC kicked in and recognized we passed a stop signal and stopped the train.

We had to wait for them to clear the penalty, for all the air to reload followed by a break test.

We were parked in Saugus for a bout 25 minutes. 3 Trains backed up behind us.

Is it normal for all the air to be released when the train get's a penalty? Can anyone better explain exactly what happened?

It seems all the other trains are getting past the bad signal tonight with only 5 to 10 minute delays.
 #1531908  by CRail

A penalty application can be caused by a number of things, and it's nothing new. PTC can initiate one but it's just one of the number of things. It does not require a brake test like an emergency application. If a brake test had to be done there was an emergency application, not just a penalty. It does happen on occasion that a train is unable to recover from a penalty application, and a potential remedy is to dump the air (empty the brake pipe causing an emergency application) and recharge the system. That would require a brake test.
 #1532796  by Commuterrail1050

Earlier today, train 804 broke down before leaving Pawtucket yard to start it's inbound trip. It also had to originate in South Attleboro instead of providence, letting 806 pick up those folks and 806 went in front of it taking 2 train loads of people into 8 doubles which made it very crowded to the point where everyone was spilling into the aisles and vestibules. I was on the 806 so this is the real deal from an actual rider. 804 ended up running about 30 mins late picking up anyone that was left behind and made an extra stop at ruggles which it usually stays on track 2 to back bay and was empty. As a result, the subsequent trains 842, 808, and so on were not as full as they usually are. That's the story folks.
 #1532863  by RenegadeMonster

Last Thursday morning a train broke down in Salem. It sat at Salem for 3 hours stopping all train traffic.

I ended up working form home that day. It was right at the beginning of the morning rush and no trains were running again until after 9:30 or so.
 #1535744  by Commuterrail1050

Train 842 made it to Attleboro on the deadhead move of equipment. Once they were getting ready to switch directions, it broke down and suffered a mechanical issue. Not exactly sure what the issue was, but it left at least 20-40 mins late. As a result, train 842 was 30 mins late I believe at the least and went to south station at a restricted speed. Train 808, the express from Mansfield to Back Bay, crawled behind it all the way to South Station. Delaying not one, not two, but 3 separate trains that followed. 808, 810, and 812 suffered delays because of this. Not sure if 904 and 906 were delayed as well but the ones I mentioned were. Also, train 842 has had its bad luck of delays lately unlike the train 806 that I take daily.