Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1527716  by NeedhamLine

Interesting to note that the photo in that article (which first appeared on November 20) was taken a few months ago, based on the tree foliage. The most recent PRIIA 305 minutes indicate the following update, which was current as of October 31:

"On the Acela replacement:

Trainset 1 is together –power car on both ends.
Trainset 2 is being put together for the NEC.
Tilt testing has been completed and has been or will be submitted to the FRA.
Passenger cars are in the final testing and once complete will be submitted to FRA."

Glad to hear that things are moving along quickly - and would not be surprised to see the first trainset headed to Pueblo in the near future (followed shortly by the NEC-bound set). Would be great to see one of these on the new test track at Hornell!
 #1527743  by gokeefe

Yet again ... Tip of the hat to whoever is managing the drip drip drip PR on this ....

We are now getting updates almost every 30 days on progress and they are rotating the outlets to spread the coverage around.

Notice also the timing of this story which avoids the holiday period "dead zone" for news. Next story should be out sometime around the second week of January ... Question is who will be writing next time?
 #1529530  by Matt Johnson

I'm curious to see if the final product has the aerodynamic cladding to smooth the transition between the tilt coaches and non-tilt, slab sided locomotives, but unfortunately I'm guessing the later renderings indicate that it was deleted from the final design:
Attachments:
avelia_liberty-avelia_liberty_solution_page.jpg
avelia_liberty-avelia_liberty_solution_page.jpg (83.18 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
shroud.jpg
shroud.jpg (196.85 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
 #1529557  by bostontrainguy

Matt Johnson wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:58 pm I'm curious to see if the final product has the aerodynamic cladding to smooth the transition between the tilt coaches and non-tilt, slab sided locomotives, but unfortunately I'm guessing the later renderings indicate that it was deleted from the final design:
If you watch the videos it appears the power cars tilt too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLAx6pND1dg
 #1529586  by ExCon90

At 1:07 it looks like the locomotive is tilting; at 1:17 and 2:22 the sides of the locomotive and the coaches seem to match. Then again, at 1:34 it's headed for Harrisburg--are we going to see them in Keystone service? And at 2:10 Portal Bridge never looked better... A nicely done video.
 #1529621  by east point

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:15 pm I hope that the paint scheme is good on the Avelia Liberty Acelas. I also and most importantly hope that the Avelia Liberty Acelas work fine and can last a lot longer than the original Acelas.
That may depend on how hard they are run. Once new Hudson tunnels are done and one of the old ones are refurbished more trains will be possible for both Acela-2s and Regionals.
 #1529993  by Tadman

The recent pics in Hornell show blue cars with white window band, which looks a bit like the HST125 versions of the Brit MK3 cars in their first iteration. I'm sure it's coincidence, but perhaps a good omen. The Mk3 is comfy and lasted quite some time, certainly longer than the Mk4.