Railroad Forums 

• CSX Selling Trackage

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1494118  by Shortline614

ccutler wrote:Alternatively CSX could be looking to sell its NYC route through to NJ, to UP for a handsome price.
Selling off a core part of their network putting CSX at a major disadvantage and causing the final round of transcontinental mergers? Never in a million years. It would be better for UP to buy CSX outright, which UP says they are not interested in doing, and CSX legally cant do until 2020.

As for topic of Class 1 mergers, we should probably make a separate thread on the Class 1 fourms.
 #1494506  by DogBert

Railjunkie wrote:That may be the next to go
Sprinter611 wrote:
Railjunkie wrote:Fresh from the rumor rama. CSX has sold West Albany yard the Troy branch and there Port of Rennselear work, Expect to see an announcement within the next month.
Another rumor going around is the Hudson Grain was sold off in this deal as well.
That may be the next to go, possible South Schenectady and the Carmen. But as of now its W Albany Troy and the Port of Rennselear. New power for the locals out Oak Point, 400 series 427 I think was in Harmon yesterday for measurements. Reason, is the 4 axle stuff might be going to the short line.
I suspect the change in power to oak point is because of age and Metro North's PTC. 30-40 year old power running through commuter territory, I'm surprised those 40s & 60s are only being replaced now. 4 axle power will not change. There's still plenty of local work around the Bronx that wouldn't be a good fit for 6 axles.
 #1497619  by mmi16

dgvrengineer wrote:Looks like the Florida Panhandle sale fell through.
https://tinyurl.com/ybsrnvoh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wild assed guess - The buyer wanted CSX to pay the New York Dock agreement protections for the employees that would be out of a Job and CSX refused.
 #1518721  by Shortline614

This discussion has been dead for a while, so considering all that has happened concerning this subject in the past few months, I've decided to revive it.

I did some research, and then some calculations, which resulted in this list:

CSX Line Sales List

Alabama & Tennessee River Railway - 120 Miles - July 10th, 2018 (Sale of Lease)

Fulton County Railway - 25 Miles - July 10th, 2019 (Sale of Lease)

Decatur & Eastern Illinois Railroad - 126 Milies - September 9th, 2018 (Sale)

Plymouth Line - Lake State Railway - 57 Miles - March 29th, 2019 (Lease)

Pittsburg Branches - Allegheny Valley Railroad - 47 Miles - May 15th, 2019 (Sale of Lease)

Florida Gulf & Atlantic Railroad - 373 Miles - June 1st, 2019 (Sale)

Massina Line - Candian National Railway - 220 Miles - Unknown (as it was just announced) (Sale)

Sold Lines = 911 Miles
Leased Lines = 57 Miles
Sold & Leased Lines = 968 Miles

Amount they want to sell = 4,800 Miles*
Amount they have sold = 968 Miles

CSX is 20% with their line sale program 21,000 Miles*

Size of CSX before the line sales: 21,000 Miles*
Current Size of CSX: 20,032*

*these are rough estimates

I just want to give an update on this subject, mostly because I obsess over this stuff, and I think you all would be interested. I'll keep updating this list as time goes on. If there is anything wrong with it, please tell me.
 #1518724  by mmi16

Mantle Ridge sucking more money out of the corporation!
 #1518761  by gokeefe

Greatly appreciate the update. Very helpful to have this perspective.
 #1519362  by Shortline614

Another small update. Not exactly a line sale, but close enough to one that I think it fits in this discussion.

From Trains Magazine: http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... short-line

RJ Corman will be taking over the lease of the 13-mile Childersburg Line in Coosa Pines, Alabama. The line was previously under a joint lease between CSX and NS.

I've already added this to my list.
 #1519676  by CPF363

Would CSX consider selling the former SAL S-Line between Ridgeway, NC through Hamlet and Columbia to Savannah? How much freight is on this segment today? Are there any through trains that use it or are those on the parallel A-Line? The same could possibly hold true the former SAL Andrews Subdivision south and east of Hamlet to Charleston, how much local and through freight is on this line? Who would want both of these routes if they were spun off of the CSX system?
 #1519706  by mtuandrew

CPF363 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:23 pm Would CSX consider selling the former SAL S-Line between Ridgeway, NC through Hamlet and Columbia to Savannah? How much freight is on this segment today? Are there any through trains that use it or are those on the parallel A-Line? The same could possibly hold true the former SAL Andrews Subdivision south and east of Hamlet to Charleston, how much local and through freight is on this line? Who would want both of these routes if they were spun off of the CSX system?
NCRR is already planning on getting Ridgeway to Raleigh and could easily pick up Raleigh to Hamlet. After that, anyone’s guess, but AC&W comes to mind for one or both routes.

But CSX would have trouble letting go of that segment of the ex-SAL simply because it invites direct competition with the ex-ACL. They couldn’t risk NS getting ahold of the route.
 #1528759  by Gilbert B Norman

Also posted at Amtrak; the Richmond Times Dispatch reports that CSX has entered into an agreement to sell the R,F,&P to Amtrak:

Wow!

Fair Use:
Trains will run almost every hour between Washington and Richmond - including Main Street Station downtown - within 10 years under a deal between Virginia and CSX Corp. that will open the gateway for expanded rail service in the region and other parts of the state.

The blockbuster $3.7 billion agreement that Gov. Ralph Northam and CSX announced on Thursday will give Virginia control over hundreds of miles of railroad track and underlying right-of-way in three rail corridors, including the former RF&P line that parallels Interstate 95 between Richmond and Washington. It will not expand the two-track rail line that runs through Ashland, which the state already has promised to preserve.
Now the question? How will CSX route their traffic?
 #1528805  by QB 52.32

No change between Washington and Richmond. Virginia is purchasing half of the ROW allowing them to develop expanded passenger service seperated from CSX's operations.
 #1528813  by Gilbert B Norman

So this sale of RF&P right of way will result in an arrangement such as exists between Utah Transit and UP Provo-Ogden?
 #1528836  by bostontrainguy

QB 52.32 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:35 am No change between Washington and Richmond. Virginia is purchasing half of the ROW allowing them to develop expanded passenger service seperated from CSX's operations.
Now that's interesting and sensible.
 #1528843  by Shortline614

CSX is retaining the double tracked RF&P. All third tracks and future triple and quadruple tracking on the RF&P are going to be owned by Virginia. It's basically an agreement to share the ROW with Virginia.

Also included in the sale are abandoned SAL between Ridgeway and Petersburg, and the line that the Buckingham Branch Railroad leases from CSX. From what I've read, BB wil retain the lease but under Virginia instead of CSX. CSX will also retain trackage rights for their coal trains.