Railroad Forums 

• #14 Orange Line Cars 1400-1551 (From Red/Orange Procurement discussion)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1525481  by daybeers

Arborwayfan wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:49 pm That is, the beeping is so that blind people can find the doors and know that they are open. At least I assume that's the idea. I have noticed that in Salt Lake City's newest cars.
Why haven't we seen this already on other cars? WMATA's 7000-series cars are relatively new and they don't have these chimes.
 #1525484  by andrewjw

They have other ADA issues (lack of chains between cars) and had to play a "This is a 7000 series train" announcement until this was fixed. I am not so sure they are a good model for ADA compliance.
Last edited by CRail on Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary nesting quotes removed. Do not use the "quote" button as a reply button.
 #1525519  by RenegadeMonster

chrisf wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:41 pm It seems one of the new cars derailed in Wellington yard today. I assume that means we're going to see more delays on them going into service while this is investigated.
On the news last night they said this derailment was caused by a switch not functioning correctly. The switch is set to be replaced as part of all the track work that is on going.

So with that being said, I doubt it will delay any new sets being approved for service.
 #1526059  by chrisf

I can’t find the article I read yesterday, but now the new trains have been removed from service again due to a strange noise. There wasn’t any further detail in the article besides that, unfortunately.
Edit: the article was in the Globe: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/ ... story.html
The MBTA spokesperson referred to the noise as “uncommon” and unrelated to the derailment.
 #1526339  by troffey

chrisf wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:48 am I can’t find the article I read yesterday, but now the new trains have been removed from service again due to a strange noise. There wasn’t any further detail in the article besides that, unfortunately.
Edit: the article was in the Globe: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/ ... story.html
The MBTA spokesperson referred to the noise as “uncommon” and unrelated to the derailment.
Whatever it may have been, the new trains haven't run since (over a week now). Has anyone heard or seen any updates?
 #1527067  by Commuterrail1050

The pads that holds the train with the propulsion system that makes the train move and the wheels wore out too quickly making the noise which is why they went out of service again. There's no time estimate on when they would return. From Steve Poftak the general manager of the mbta.
 #1527127  by charlesriverbranch

andrewjw wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:14 pm They have other ADA issues (lack of chains between cars) and had to play a "This is a 7000 series train" announcement until this was fixed. I am not so sure they are a good model for ADA compliance.
How are chains between cars an ADA issue? The end doors are locked, and passengers aren't allowed to use them.
 #1527168  by CRail

Because a blind person might mistake the space between cars as an open door. That’s why all cars (subway or commuter) with automatic doors have end gates.
 #1532188  by Adams_Umass_Boston

Updates for further cars.

Per Twitter - "The most noticeable change will be the doubling of the number of digital info screens inside each car from three to six on the #OrangeLine and from four to eight on the #RedLine. The size of the monitors, which show next stop, and connections, will be increased to 24 inches"

https://twitter.com/JoePesaturo/status/ ... 78817?s=20
 #1532439  by Rbts Stn

Sounds expensive. I've ridden on one of the new cars and the monitors are nice, but I'm not sure we need to spend more money for more of them. Get intelligible announcements and maybe an ceiling mounted sign with station info and you should be good to go