Railroad Forums 

• #14 Orange Line Cars 1400-1551 (From Red/Orange Procurement discussion)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1520979  by dieciduej

Head-end View wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:21 pm And this never happened during all the testing? Un-frigging real! You wouldn't think subway train doors are any kind of new technology, but I guess all the computer control is tricky new stuff. Shame. :(
During the testing they used plastic drums filled with water to replicate the Mk 1 human. That may work for overall weight, but wouldn't replicate a fully loaded train at rush hour with passengers leaning against the doors, walking/stepping on the threshold on, jiggling the doors (aka staring the closing process and reopening the doors before the cycle was complete). All of which adds up.
 #1521024  by Kilo Echo

dieciduej wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:40 pm During the testing they used plastic drums filled with water to replicate the Mk 1 human. That may work for overall weight, but wouldn't replicate a fully loaded train at rush hour with passengers leaning against the doors, walking/stepping on the threshold on, jiggling the doors (aka staring the closing process and reopening the doors before the cycle was complete). All of which adds up.
This sort of dead-weight testing evokes memories of the ill-fated Grumman Flxible 870 buses in New York.
 #1521312  by Commuterrail1050

It's a total joke and shame that the new orange line cars' doors broke within weeks of being accepted. I hope whoever designed them makes sure that the rest of the fleet gets that fix too! Other than that, they look really sharp. How are they going to test the red line cars if the test track is still under track work construction? Hasn't been an update on that and the red line improvement program in some time.
 #1521994  by MBTA DMA

The new orange line cars have returned to service this morning though it's the second trainset. The first is gonna undergo more testing but will return to service soon. Also the first 6 pilot red line cars have arrived today at Cabot Yard in South Boston. They will undergo extensive testing being put into service. The MBTA predicts the first new red line train to enter service in the Spring of next year.
 #1522020  by Arlington

^ What do the little "CIH" tags mean on the OL and RL map that discusses the signals project? (PDF page 14)
 #1525128  by rethcir

I have not had the pleasure of riding the new OL train yet, but I have several coworkers and acquaintances who have, and all complain about the door chimes. For example, one said the train was held at a station for a while, and the doors beep constantly while the doors are open, to the point of major annoyance. Are there any plans to adjust this?