Railroad Forums 

• New Customer in New Haven?

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1524170  by bostontrainguy

Interesting that if you check out Google Earth the remainder of Waterfront Street on the south side of Forbes Ave (I am assuming that is the same street but there is no name on the map), looks like it has been partially rebuilt and there are three railroad grade crossings that look new but go nowhere. I guess someone is thinking there is a future for even more rail service in the area. Nice that they are thinking this way.
 #1524272  by Sir Ray

How Soon we forget: New Haven Belle Dock thread..
About Google View, what's interesting is that in this view at this time you can see not only the reconstructed road, plus several loads of steel in the facility yard West of Waterfront St., and several tank cars to the East (labeled "Intertek Laboratory"). I know the map imagery is marked "2019", but I wonder how old that aerial really is.
 #1524417  by ebtmikado

According to the article, the site is at 120 Forbes Ave., which is north of Forbes Ave. (US 1), not south.
When the new bridge was built, and track installed, a stub track coming straight off the bridge continues a short distance,
which up until now had no sidings. It looks like the designer of the stub track had his act together.
Lee
 #1524427  by Sir Ray

ebtmikado wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:21 pm According to the article, the site is at 120 Forbes Ave., which is north of Forbes Ave. (US 1), not south.
When the new bridge was built, and track installed, a stub track coming straight off the bridge continues a short distance,
which up until now had no sidings. It looks like the designer of the stub track had his act together.
Lee
I saw that as well - Here in this view I suppose it's going to be a switchback, but how far can the tail track be laid East without fouling that driveway/sidewalk (there seems ilmited clearance between the Forbesa Ave, and the elevated highway pillar).
 #1524428  by ebtmikado

The track used to curve to the north to serve that big US Steel warehouse. But that closed, and the curved track was not rebuilt when the new bridge was built.