Railroad Forums 

• 7000 series cars doors closing without warning message

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1523572  by davinp

The safety commission is investigating why some 7000 series car doors are closing without saying "step back, doors closing"

It appears that some train operators are closing the doors to quickly and departing the station before the message can play

The recorded warnings are a federal requirement listed in the Americans With Disabilities Act, which states that “auditory and visual warning signals shall be provided to alert passengers of closing doors.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... t-warning/
 #1523646  by danib62

davinp wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:22 am
The recorded warnings are a federal requirement listed in the Americans With Disabilities Act, which states that “auditory and visual warning signals shall be provided to alert passengers of closing doors.”
A simple chime fulfills that requirement. WMATA really needs to trim down the long winded opening/closing announcements.
 #1523683  by Sand Box John

danib62

A simple chime fulfills that requirement.

I was thinking the same thing.

WMATA really needs to trim down the long winded opening/closing announcements.

To me the added chatter is nothing more then time wasting redundant white noise.
 #1523710  by STrRedWolf

Sand Box John wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:47 pm danib62

To me the added chatter is nothing more then time wasting redundant white noise.
Is there a minimum time that the doors must be open for?
 #1523749  by mtuandrew

Sand Box John wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:47 pm danib62

Something more like “deedoodeedoo Step back, doors closing” maybe?
 #1523888  by danib62

I think the bigger ADA issue is how long it takes for a 7k train to announce it's destination. Get rid of the ridiculously pointless and long "doors opening step back to allow customers to exit. when boarding please move to the center of the car" announcement.
 #1524030  by STrRedWolf

danib62 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:42 am I think the bigger ADA issue is how long it takes for a 7k train to announce it's destination. Get rid of the ridiculously pointless and long "doors opening step back to allow customers to exit. when boarding please move to the center of the car" announcement.
Well, they are legally required to say "This is a 7000 series train" now due to a few ADA incidents.
 #1524045  by daybeers

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:50 pm
danib62 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:42 am I think the bigger ADA issue is how long it takes for a 7k train to announce it's destination. Get rid of the ridiculously pointless and long "doors opening step back to allow customers to exit. when boarding please move to the center of the car" announcement.
Well, they are legally required to say "This is a 7000 series train" now due to a few ADA incidents.
Have they not finished the rubber sides->chains between pairs of cars? I thought the announcement was only until that was finished.
 #1524183  by danib62

Those messages have been gone for a few months as they've completed the retrofit of chains between all cars.