Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1521768  by Head-end View

Matt, I believe that set of crossovers between New Hyde Pk. and Merillon Ave. is Nassau-1 if I'm not mistaken. Wouldn't Nassau-2 be where the Oyster Bay Branch diverges at Nassau Tower?
 #1521791  by bellstbarn

Seen at Wantagh about 10:25 this Sunday morning during the Merillon Avenue closure: A short eastbound diesel train was held by red signals at the Wantagh interlocking. Behind him, held in the station, doors open, a local waited. A crowd expected a westbound. A westbound electric slipped through without stopping. Then a westbound local came through the interlocking, and the eastbounds were allowed to move. Maybe one track east of Wantagh was out of service, but I could not determine what was the blockage.
 #1522256  by MattAmity90

Head-end View wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:05 pm Matt, I believe that set of crossovers between New Hyde Pk. and Merillon Ave. is Nassau-1 if I'm not mistaken. Wouldn't Nassau-2 be where the Oyster Bay Branch diverges at Nassau Tower?
Actually you are right, I saw a few photos and indeed the switches being replaced between Merillon Avenue and New Hyde Park is NASSAU-1. At New Hyde Park they are setting up and erecting temporary platforms in between 12th Street and Covert Avenue.

At Carle Place, work continues on the Eastern half of Platform A where I believe a ramp/staircase, or possibly one of the elevator foundations has been poured. In addition they are putting concrete wall slabs against the embankment.
 #1522268  by LB

Covert Avenue, New Hyde Park is slated to re-open tomorrow 12 OCT 2019 at 9AM. Anyone taking photos?
 #1523336  by MattAmity90

LB wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:30 pm Covert Avenue, New Hyde Park is slated to re-open tomorrow 12 OCT 2019 at 9AM. Anyone taking photos?
Not a lot of photos were taken immediately following the reopening which is shocking. This is one less grade crossing we have to deal with, and this one was considered one of the most hazardous. Plus, this is one located on the Main Line in New Hyde Park (1 of 3), and the fact that there are only 2 is a major difference! Edward Hand and aModernLI posted pictures. This is before and after.
Covert Avenue pre-2018.
Covert Avenue pre-2018.
74209190_10215291487868743_2561614814270980096_n.jpg (128.75 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Covert Avenue Today.
Covert Avenue Today.
73031519_10215291488908769_3404462787030679552_n.jpg (128.02 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Photos courtesy of Edward Hand and New York newspapers.
 #1523425  by RidingSolo

The temporary platforms have been constructed west of the existing New Hyde Park platforms -- but I was expecting to see a new third track under the south temporary platform. Just don't understand how they could have constructed both north and south temporaries butted up against the two existing tracks. What does this accomplish?
 #1523469  by Andrew Saucci

They did the same thing in Carle Place as in New Hyde Park. I don't understand it either; one would think that the new track would have been installed before the temporary platform. In Carle Place, they had the whole west half of each platform demolished, but when they reopened the west half they had temporary wooden staircases instead of constructing the final staircases while they had the west side closed. Now at some point they'll probably have to remove those staircases again before they can build the final ones. Overall the construction is going great, but they do seem to have overlooked some things in this accelerated design-build process.
 #1523516  by MattAmity90

Andrew Saucci wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:50 pm They did the same thing in Carle Place as in New Hyde Park. I don't understand it either; one would think that the new track would have been installed before the temporary platform. In Carle Place, they had the whole west half of each platform demolished, but when they reopened the west half they had temporary wooden staircases instead of constructing the final staircases while they had the west side closed. Now at some point they'll probably have to remove those staircases again before they can build the final ones. Overall the construction is going great, but they do seem to have overlooked some things in this accelerated design-build process.
There still needs to be some stabilization done at Carle Place, but at New Hyde Park there isn't enough room. Also remember that New Hyde Park Road's grade crossing is being prepped for elimination. Despite the fact the road will be reduced to two lanes using a temporary crossing to the West, it comes down to traffic patterns. It's a tight squeeze between the newly eliminated Covert Avenue and the current 12th Street grade crossing because you have the power lines in the ROW, and a NTC that close would take up room. The third track will not be laid until NHP Road is eliminated, and then they can close the 12th Street crossing since it will be closed permanently. Just not enough room, logistical reasons, and the inconvenience while service will still be commencing.
 #1523523  by AHunter3

I'm not sure why they keep referring to these as "new BRIDGES" when what they actually did was dig TUNNELS under the existing railroad tracks, adding supporting structures etc as they went. A railroad BRIDGE would be like the one on Mineola Blvd, yes?
 #1523600  by MACTRAXX

AH: The Covert Avenue grade crossing elimination is actually a combination of both - an undergrade roadway
with THREE bridges being constructed separately for Second and Third Avenues along with the new 3 track
overpass for the LIRR Main Line paralleling the tracks on both sides.

I went to see the Covert Avenue bridge this past week and noted that the new roadway bridges are not yet
complete and are still closed for further construction. I used the walkway underneath and noticed that there
are barricaded staircases leading to the pedestrian underpass from street level on both sides of the tracks.
In the posted photograph two sets of plywood boards along the east side wall on the walkway are visible.

I took notice to the two sets of temporary platforms east of Covert Avenue to relocate the NHP Station.
Platform B will have to be removed for the added third track - and then Platform A will be reconstructed.
The big project ahead will be when the New Hyde Park Road crossing is finally eliminated...MACTRAXX
 #1523902  by MattAmity90

Urban Avenue construction has just about wrapped up with the Railroad Avenue bridge. This is what is being done:

-Paving on both sides of the bridge (needs another coat of it in my opinion).
-Safety fencing or reinforced fencing installation. Fencing along the ROW is still similar to construction pounded into the ground. Plus there are gaps in the fencing.

New Hyde Park Road is now in tight quarters, and the platforms' days are numbered. Temporary platforms installed West of 12th Street will not be similar to Merillon Avenue. Platform B is six car lengths and runs from the crossing Westward. Platform A on the other hand begins 3/4 of the way of Platform B Westward (similar to NHP when the station had high-level platforms installed).

Carle Place has the elevator foundation and surrounding platform underway on Platform A, while Platform B has seen changes in access and possible foundation setting for the elevator for Platform B.
 #1524206  by PeteJP

Hello, I am just joining this group. I visited Nassau Tower some time in 1988 and the operator told me about the 3rd track project, he pointed west toward the 3rd track that does not go anywhere. I think he said it was stopped for some reason then. Now I see lots of construction going on to complete it. Does anyone have what the new track plans will be? Will the new track connect to any current interlocking between Floral Park and Divide-1? Will it have any platforms?

It looks like most of the new 3rd track is south of the main line between Floral Park and just before Hicksville, Also it looks like the new tracks and current track will shift towards the north side of the main line to go into Hickville.
 #1524222  by PeteJP

MattAmity90 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:07 pm
rr503 wrote:
Jeff Smith wrote:There will still be only two platforms at Mineola.
For third track, yes. I’m asking whether or not that holds true in assessments of making OB into a shuttle — the new interlocking config at Mineola seems to beg that course of action.
I don't see that happening, twenty years ago when the DC/DM30's and C3 cars arrived the LIRR made the promise that with the new fleet there would be no changing at Jamaica to get to Penn Station. They promised a full-on trip from Montauk, Speonk, Patchogue, Port Jefferson, and Oyster Bay to Penn Station. The third track (which will be to the South of the current EB track) will become a local track, while the current EB track will be an express track. All the stations between Hicksville and Floral Park will still be two platforms with the middle track being express.

On a side note, viaduct supports and buttresses are being erected at Floral Park at the fork where the Main Line continues straight and the Hempstead Branch diverts to the right.

New some of the new Diesels without third rail shoes? It would have made sense to me to purchase everything for dual mode.

Also ref interlocking at Mineola, Amtrak/MBTA has something like this between Readville and Back Bay. A third track to one side that runs trains in both directions to prevent them crossing in front of other trains on the main line. Maybe LIRR will run OB trains on the westbound track both directions?