Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1522513  by Backshophoss

That's the way it was back then,before NYS took some interest in the Port Jervis service,E-8's and the stillwells were the norm.
EL had a deal with NJDOT to "borrow" the U-34CH's for weekend freight service,but had to back by sunday night.
The creation of CR and NY's MTA finally changed that issue,MTA did buy another U-34CH and put the 2 tone blue "M" on that unit.
Currently the WOH equipment is scattered all across the Hoboken side in pool service,instead of dedicated to ML/BC and Pascack Valley lines.
 #1522772  by TDowling

So the withholding of the comets past Suffern lasted a few years after their delivery, from about 1970 to 1974.

That must have been infuriating I Imagine to put up with no air conditioning on the stillwells during summer, especially on long commutes.
 #1523145  by blockline4180

TDowling wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:57 pm So the withholding of the comets past Suffern lasted a few years after their delivery, from about 1970 to 1974.

That must have been infuriating I Imagine to put up with no air conditioning on the stillwells during summer, especially on long commutes.
I believe the U34/push pulls made their first revenue runs to Port Jervis over the the Main Line to Port Jervis in late September 1974. The MTA U34 unit did not arrive until 1978, so anything before that was with the NJDOT/EL units.
 #1523189  by Erie-Lackawanna

blockline4180 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:19 pmI believe the U34/push pulls made their first revenue runs to Port Jervis over the the Main Line to Port Jervis in late September 1974. The MTA U34 unit did not arrive until 1978, so anything before that was with the NJDOT/EL units.
Correct...my memory failed me when I wrote “May 1974” a couple posts up. A quick Google search says the last revenue train with E8s & Stillwell coaches was train 70 on Saturday, September 14, 1974. Three E8s and 15 coaches cleaned out Port Jervis.

Jim
 #1523491  by TDowling

Interesting. Were there ever the original comets in erie lack decals on the new Graham alignment, or did Metro North swiftly rebrand them once April of 1983 rolled around?

From what I understand there were the comets, one five car consist of the Comarrows with cab car 5199 and a few of the RDC shuttles...?
 #1523503  by Erie-Lackawanna

Metro-North didn’t rebrand anything west of the Hudson in 1983. The late 70s cars and U34CH that MTA contributed to the pool had two-tone M logos from the beginning, and I don’t believe they ever received MNR logos, although I could be mistaken. They certainly didn’t get new logos in 1983.

The original Comet cars carried their EL logos for some time after 1983. NJT took their time rebranding them; I seem to recall they got repainted during a fleet overhaul in the mid 80s. So yes, EL logos went to Port Jervis for a few years after 1983.

Correct on the MNR fleet contribution.

Jim
 #1523768  by DutchRailnut

4183 was cut up, it was considered to come to east of Hudson for work train service. but with its big fuel tank and a hollow crankshaft it was not to be.
due to size of U34 and length of fuel tank the clearances were just too close to third rail on to many switches.