Railroad Forums 

• Station Developments

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1518416  by STrRedWolf

WhartonAndNorthern wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:49 am La Plata, MO's ADA platform upgrades have been completed. It took a long time with weather delays and limited work hours (right next to Main 1 of the Transcon). One glitch: the west and central platforms were not extended as far as the east platform. BNSF's contractor built to print but not before raising the objection. They were told to follow the instructions. A new loading area for track 2 for the times #4 can't cross over has been built at the west end of the platform.

If you want to see what it looks like, switch between west and east cameras. Still some minor work going on so cams may be blurred during that time.

Ashland, VA (ASD) is about to undergo ADA upgrades. http://www.ashlandva.gov/567/Amtrak-Project
Um... where's the ADA platform for La Plata? I don't see a high block there.

Ditto for Ashland. What's with these platforms? They're all low, no high block...
 #1518433  by Roadgeek Adam

Except on the NEC, Amtrak doesn't use what would be called commuter rail high level platforms.

For La Plata, which used to look like this:

It is a nice clean upgrade.
 #1518442  by WhartonAndNorthern

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:26 pm

Um... where's the ADA platform for La Plata? I don't see a high block there.

Ditto for Ashland. What's with these platforms? They're all low, no high block...
La Plata is exclusively served by the Southwest Chief and Superliner equipment (low level boarding). Ashland's upgrades include a storage shed for a wheelchair lift as well as raising the platform slightly to get it closer to an Amfleet trap. The raised platform will have ramps for ease of access.
 #1518987  by WhartonAndNorthern

Another thing I forgot to mention about Ashland, VA (ASD)'s upgrades: they're supposed to be getting displays to indicate on what track the train's arriving. Right now, customers have to look down the tracks and determine what track the train's on. Fortunately, rail speed limit through Ashland is 35 mph: slow enough to run across in most cases.

If you're not familiar with Ashland's layout, the tracks are bidirectionally signaled with Track 3 being next to the station (right side looking south) and Track 2* being opposite. The station building itself is owned by the town and used as a visitor center for the area. When open, they do allow use of the waiting room area. There are also seats outside the station under the awning. Not every train stops on Track 3 and no guarantee that Northbounds are on 2 and Southbounds on 3. As I said, usually you can run across. It's complicated when a freight's passing through the station which may cut off your access to Track 2. They don't board Track 2 from the Track 3 side nor do they protect Track 3 while boarding Track 2.

*=no Track 1 in Ashland, due to RF&P's numbering. There's a Track 1 well to the north and Track 1 Advance opens up just north of RVR. There was once a Track 1 (siding, I believe) through Ashland.
 #1519055  by MACTRAXX

W&N: Ashland, VA at times has had boarding problems because riders could not figure out which track a
given train was arriving on until the train got close to the station...The VR webcams have even shown
near misses with trains because of passengers running across tracks in front of either a passing freight
train or the arriving Amtrak train. One way for Ashland passengers to know which track their train is
arriving on would be a sign showing which track an Amtrak train will use at Ashland...MACTRAXX
 #1521446  by STrRedWolf

BWI Amtrak opened the new station building yesterday! I was coming home and when I looked to the right after exiting the main elevator down... I saw the opening was actually open.

Inside, the layout is slightly different. The newsstand (which is in progress of moving in) is still opposite of the ticket agents, but there is a lot more room for the line and much more room for seating. The glass corner really helps bring more light in. Bathrooms are now down a hall instead of being on ether side of the waiting area. It is much less cramped.

More photos uploaded here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/strredwol ... 9010374717
 #1521507  by gokeefe

I have to say I am very impressed with the reutilization of the existing structure. Thank you so much for sharing the photos.

If you get a chance to take some interior shots that would be awesome.
 #1521615  by STrRedWolf

gokeefe wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:56 pm I have to say I am very impressed with the reutilization of the existing structure. Thank you so much for sharing the photos.

If you get a chance to take some interior shots that would be awesome.
I'm playing it a bit cautious as Amtrak Police have been hanging around lately. I'll have to check with their publicity department about what I'm allowed to film -- outside is fine but inside may not be as kosher. If I'm lucky, I may be able to Go-Pro the inside and post it up on Youtube.
 #1521762  by Arlington

Is a 4th track still part of the BWI station upgrade?
 #1521773  by The EGE

Still planned, but as of 2016 was supposed to be a $600M (WTF???) project. The station building cost $4.7M.
 #1521801  by gokeefe

And that was really just a "renovation" in many senses.
 #1521813  by STrRedWolf

Arlington wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:39 pm Is a 4th track still part of the BWI station upgrade?
Not really. 4th track would rip out the station and rebuild at the northern edge of the platform (where the temporary station shack was) as well as build two new platforms. It would of extended track A down to GROVE.

While there's a need to 4-track (all the way down to DC, TBH), the bigger need is between BRIDGE and CHARLES -- the 30 MPH B&P Tunnels have got to go.