Railroad Forums 

• Rotem Cars Discussion (new bi-level cars)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1436932  by MBTA3247

The tape was probably put on by S&I. They won't be able to replace the seat until the next time the car visits BET or Readville for an inspection.
 #1466619  by RenegadeMonster

Two massive pieces of artwork have appeared on 1819 over the weekend covering most of one side of the car including over the lower windows.

Passing by BET this morning I had to do a second take that that double decker wasn't one of those RDC's there was so much art work.

Such a shame.

How easily can the car be "untagged" when they preform the car body repairs at BET?
 #1495912  by CRail

It lost its plow in a snowbank.
 #1520771  by KevinSun242

sonicdoommario wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:07 am The 1812 has returned and is being prepped for service! It's been out of commission for what, five years now?
That's the one that was damaged in the early morning Lowell line derailment years ago, right?

Also:

https://mbta.com/news/2019-09-23/fmcb-a ... muter-rail

Looks like more Rotems are coming. 80 coaches approved by the FMCB to be delivered by Hyundai Rotem.
 #1520788  by RenegadeMonster

I find it quite amazing that the first deliveries will be taking place in September 2022. That's pretty fast in my opinion as I thought it usually takes around 5 years from order to first delivery.

They only ordered 80. I thought they were looking in to 180 to 220 new Bi-Level Coaches to replace all the single level coaches. Do we expect them to eventually up the numbers / place a second order?
 #1520796  by MBTA3247

Seriously? They decided not to exercise the options on the original Rotem order because the cars were so badly built, and now they're going right back to them with a no-bid contract? Which is most likely going to suffer the same problems with delays and poor build quality as the first contract, since Rotem has to restart the factory and hire new people. They should've gone to Kawasaki, which we know has no issues getting bilevel cars built right.
 #1520797  by nomis

RenegadeMonster, from the press release ...
In addition to these 80 coaches, the release of a Request for Proposals for additional bi-level coaches is anticipated for November 2019 with an award of procurement of up to 100 coaches, plus options, anticipated for November 2020. The first of those 100 coaches is anticipated to be delivered in July 2024 and the last in June 2027.
 #1520806  by Bramdeisroberts

MBTA3247 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:52 pm Seriously? They decided not to exercise the options on the original Rotem order because the cars were so badly built, and now they're going right back to them with a no-bid contract? Which is most likely going to suffer the same problems with delays and poor build quality as the first contract, since Rotem has to restart the factory and hire new people. They should've gone to Kawasaki, which we know has no issues getting bilevel cars built right.
I've heard from reliable sources that once the teething problems were ironed out, the T has been very, very impressed with how well the Rotems have been built and how they've held up over the past 5+ years.