Railroad Forums 

• #14 Orange Line Cars 1400-1551 (From Red/Orange Procurement discussion)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1516947  by StefanW

Lead Car 1404, Orange Line to Oak Grove, IN_TRANSIT_TO Green Street
I think it's interesting that the same car ID is coming up on the data feed for both directions... or it seems like it. Anyone know if the AVL / AVI transmitter (or whatever it's called these days) is only on one cab end of the new cars?
 #1516953  by StefanW

Never mind that I guess. After 1404 was appearing for the trip north to Oak Grove, now it's 1402 showing for the trip south, signed for Wellington. Hopefully that's not the only trip for the day.
 #1519918  by troffey

Perhaps just an oddity, but Tuesday and yesterday I noticed a set of the new Orange Line cars in Cabot, occupying one of the service bays.

OT, you can see in the Cabot bays perfectly from the South Boston Bypass Road now that it is open to all traffic.
 #1520075  by MBTA DMA

Yeah, a pair of two unnumbered pilot new orange line cars that arrived on December 20, 2017, those ones will be returned to CRRC to be upgraded to production cars. There is another pair of unnumbered pilot cars which also arrived the same day and those ones are at CRRC to be upgraded to production cars. Also I have a feeling that the following pairs: 1400/1401, 1408/1409, & 1410/1411 will make up the next new orange line train that the MBTA says will go into service this month. I wonder when 1402-1407 will be allowed to do full-time service.
 #1520084  by Kilo Echo

While the first set entered revenue service last month, it's not clear when the second set will enter. You can track the new train(s) with the following app: http://traintracker.transitmatters.org.
Last edited by CRail on Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
 #1520971  by Head-end View

And this never happened during all the testing? Un-frigging real! You wouldn't think subway train doors are any kind of new technology, but I guess all the computer control is tricky new stuff. Shame. :(