Railroad Forums 

• The Flying Yankee

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1520163  by jcpatten

Storing the Flying Yankee at Conway Scenic is one thing (if they even have the room, which I don't know), but running would require wyes on both ends, which CSRR has none.
 #1520168  by b&m 1566

They would only be able to operate the Flying Yankee between Bartlett and Quebec Junction, both locations have wye's. Operating out of N. Conway is not possible, and rebuilding the wye at Fabyan's is not possible.
 #1520171  by NRGeep

It wouldn't be historically "accurate", yet they could
have the RDC or one of their diesels in a "push pull"
configuration it seems connected to the FY.
 #1520177  by BandA

I don't see running it pull-pull (locomotive attached to the back) as detracting. Do the seats flip? Otherwise you'd have to ride backwards half the way, but that's better than not running at all. Heck, you could start out running it de-powered with a locomotive on each end by adding power HEP cables. Are the trucks compatible with other coach trucks? You could even run it on substitute trucks while working on the original motorized trucks.
 #1520192  by b&m 1566

To my knowledge the trucks for the Yankee have been completely rebuilt and are in storage at NHCR, I would hope that rebuild included traction motors.
 #1520208  by Dick H

I have not walked the Bartlett wye, but I believe the tongue is only about one engine length, so it would need to be extended, if that is possible, for the FY to be turned....
 #1520248  by b&m 1566

That is a good point and I haven't walked the wye myself, however I do remember a few years ago someone did snap some pictures of the tail end of the wye and I remember the track ending right at very steep rise in land just beyond it, there were some sizable saplings growing in between the rails down at the end of that tail if my memory is correct. If you look at google street views it appears the tail ends right behind the 3rd house on the left of Bear Notch Rd after crossing over the wye grade crossing. See map, you can make out the ROW embankment and the steep rise of land just beyond it. Again, I still don't know what that distance is from the end of the switch point, I'm sure someone at the Conway Scenic knows.
 #1520307  by backroadrails

Dick H wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:37 am I have not walked the Bartlett wye, but I believe the tongue is only about one engine length, so it would need to be extended, if that is possible, for the FY to be turned....
Its been a few years, but from what I have heard it is unlikely it will be rebuilt for the foreseeable future. I am not sure if anyone remembers when the 4266 was turned on the wye, but there was a deck that was close to the ROW, and if I recall the crew had to trim a few inches off with a chain saw so the unit could get by. Well that deck was replaced a few years ago (I haven't seen it in person so I can't confirm this), but I heard that the homeowner added a new deck on, which completely covers the ROW, and has several sono-tubes as supports in the gauge.
 #1520313  by b&m 1566

Encroachment at it's finest. I wonder if the home owner is aware the land is owned by the state. There's a reason (among others) why you have to get a permit to build a deck.
 #1520348  by MEC407

Tempting to run a Russell snow plow through there, wings extended, and watch for the deck owner's reaction... 😂
 #1520435  by Hux

Right up until contact with the concrete piers. A hirail front end loader would get the job done, and be able to properly pile the debris outside of the ROW. ;)
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1520782  by MaineCoonCat

PIPE DREAM WARNING!
Too bad PAR couldn't be convinced that it would be great publicity to purchase and restore the F-Y and then use it for excursions, both public and to entertain customers.. Far more unique than an ordinary "business car"!
 #1520844  by b&m 1566

A pipe dream for sure, especially considering how they have grown their business train over the last 9 years (starting with the addition of the Sisters in 2010). Anyhow, I don't think Waterville could accommodate it without making some significant modifications and let's face it, if anyone out there were to ever consider submitting an offer to purchase the train to operate it (I don't see the state blindly saying no at this point), they will likely needed to either modify an existing shop or build a new shop facility for this train. When Bob Morrell submitted a bid (competed against the Conway Scenic) for the rights to operate Crawford Notch, he planned to setup operations in Bartlett, not sure if he had plans at the time of the bid (I'd imagine he would have needed those with his bid) but the plan was to operate the Flying Yankee from Bartlett to Quebec Junction and back (so the wye must be long enough for the Flying Yankee) but I have no idea what he was planning on doing for a shop facility or where that would have gone.
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1520851  by ProRail

At this point the best thing to happen is that the Flying Yankee gets put back together, stuffed and mounted as a display again. There are just too many logistical problems involving wyes, reliable engine power, and the fixed seating capacity of it to warrant throwing more money down the hole. You don't see any of the surviving CB&Q Zephyrs in operating condition for the same reasons.