Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1519197  by ryanov

lordsigma12345 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:53 pm
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:27 pmBut booking Seven Months in advance - and no more refunds - I don't know. My days of joyrides are, sorry, over.
My understanding is sleeper refunds are still fine as long as its before 24 hours before departure. While Amtrak is FAR from perfect in MANY respects. Most of my experiences have been pretty good as far as needing refunds.
I'm almost entirely certain that you're incorrect, though not 100%. I recall having to argue with Amtrak about cancelling a sleeper trip because of Contemporary Dining. There is zero chance that it was less than 24 hours to departure. I was very surprised, and now read the rules every time, even when I think I'm sure I know what they are.
 #1519198  by ryanov

lordsigma12345 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:07 pm Sad thing about this - my most recent full diner meal - a dinner on the Meteor- was excellent - the land and sea combo. The steak was cooked to perfection and the cut of beef seemed better quality than the last time I had the same meal. The crew did a great job - and now are likely getting laid off.
I generally keep vegetarian but make the occasional exception. When I saw the steak on a recent Silver Meteor trip, I had to try it. I'm not exaggerating: it was one of the best steaks I've ever had. That chef really knew her craft. On a train, no less.
 #1519211  by Greg Moore

I've had some excellent steaks on Amtrak. And I don't just mean "good" but excellent.
Unfortunately, the quality of the baked potatoes have gone downhill over the years.
 #1519218  by danib62

ryanov wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:18 am
I'm almost entirely certain that you're incorrect, though not 100%. I recall having to argue with Amtrak about cancelling a sleeper trip because of Contemporary Dining. There is zero chance that it was less than 24 hours to departure. I was very surprised, and now read the rules every time, even when I think I'm sure I know what they are.
the official sleeper refund policy copied direct from Amtrak:
Class of Service: Sleeper Accommodations

Refunds: Full refund if canceled within 24 hours of purchase. After 24 hours of purchase, 25% cancellation fee charged if canceled 15 or more days prior to departure. No refunds if less than 15 days prior to departure.
eVouchers Available: Full value, no fees if canceled within 24 hours of purchase. After 24 hours of purchase, 25% cancellation fee charged if canceled prior to departure.
No Change Fee
“No Show” Policy: If not canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin, the ticket is forfeited and no funds can be applied toward future travel.
Basically if you cancel after 24 hours you get nailed with a 25% cancellation fee. If you cancel with less than 15 days before departure you can only get a voucher and not a cash refund.
 #1519978  by lordsigma12345

Well the cat's out of the bag. We now have "flexible dining" and "traditional dining." Entrees are being refreshed for the flexible menu - all are now hot options - the vegetarian option is the only holdover from the last iteration - there's now also a fifth option that has a kid's portion.

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/meals-di ... ining.html
 #1520009  by Arlington

Coming to Acela: a food cart
Amtrak [Sept 12th] announced the unique amenities exclusive to its Acela Nonstop train...complimentary coffee, tea water, and a light snack, “at seat” cashless cart service offering a limited menu of snacks and beverages and onboard phone charging kits for sale.
https://media.amtrak.com/2019/09/amtrak ... ngton-d-c/
 #1520010  by Matt Johnson

lordsigma12345 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:03 am If the photo showing the tray is accurate they are at least improving the presentation and ditching the boxes.
Still, calling it an "upgrade" as this article does is downright false when it refers to a move from this or this to this. I don't hate the idea of making the diner available as a sleeper lounge, though it stinks for coach passengers, but obviously a dining car used as intended plus a first class lounge/parlor car (like what Anderson killed on the Starlight) is the right way to do it if you're serious about making the trains worth riding.
 #1520011  by danib62

Haven’t they done at-seat cart service on Acela before?
 #1520043  by SouthernRailway

Why can’t Amtrak have a nice first class lounge on Eastern trains?

Photos of pre-Amtrak trains show such nice lounges: comfortable seats and a bar.

Eastern LD trains have a dining car and a cafe car. The cafe car in particular is like a 1970s high school cafeteria. The Viewliner diners are fantastic, for mealtime.

Maybe a hybrid sleeper-lounge car?
 #1520044  by bretton88

SouthernRailway wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:51 pm Why can’t Amtrak have a nice first class lounge on Eastern trains?

Photos of pre-Amtrak trains show such nice lounges: comfortable seats and a bar.

Eastern LD trains have a dining car and a cafe car. The cafe car in particular is like a 1970s high school cafeteria. The Viewliner diners are fantastic, for mealtime.

Maybe a hybrid sleeper-lounge car?
In today's number crunching era, it would be hard to justify another non revenue custom car. Any true sleeper lounge would probably have to be a custom car because it would have to somehow draw passengers out of their private accommodations. Amtrak would be much better off using such money to make their endpoint lounges a truly premium product instead.