Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1519812  by Hux

Suburban Station wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:42 am why would you take the train from brunswick if you still need to pay for a taxi? why not just drive? coming from the nec transfer twice and and up on the wrong side of town or just take the bus.
Because you can relax on a train, and the hastle of parking is eliminated.
 #1519837  by gokeefe

That's a worthy point on of itself. If true passengers are willingly taking a 20 minute hit for the sake of comfort. Certainly not in line with how we've talked about this before.

I remain intrigued by the possibility that Portland ridership is soft for other unexplained reasons.
 #1519840  by markhb

Hux wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:29 am
Suburban Station wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:42 am why would you take the train from brunswick if you still need to pay for a taxi? why not just drive? coming from the nec transfer twice and and up on the wrong side of town or just take the bus.
Because you can relax on a train, and the hastle of parking is eliminated.
My counter to that would be that the relaxation on the train would likely be more than offset by the hassle of using our public transportation or limited Uber drivers to make the final connection, that parking in Portland isn't really a hassle, that those who might find it to be a hassle are probably those who might also be more overwhelmed by the last mile connection, and that Portland's employment centers have largely decentralized from downtown which compounds the last mile problem in a way that moving the station to the main line won't help.
 #1519879  by njtmnrrbuff

The Albany, NY Station, despite it being on the wrong side of the river in Rensellaer, is still very close to Downtown Albany. It's very close to many highways that provide good access to hotels all over the Capitol District. I haven't stayed at a hotel there in a while but often when I travel by Amtrak to cities to stay in hotels, I try to stay as close to the station and in a downtown area as much as possible. Sometimes, if I see the the hotels near the Amtrak station and in downtown areas are very expensive, then I pick hotels a little further away and hope that it's an easy city bus, light rail, subway, or Uber ride away.
 #1519922  by gokeefe

See the new website for the Portland West Railway (PWR) Alliance.

They appear to be planning for a station on one leg of the Yard 8 wye while continuing to use Thompson's Point.

In theory the other side of the wye would be a possible option for a station site. I can't imagine this is what is being considered by NNEPRA.
 #1519937  by Rockingham Racer

This is a separate project from the Downeaster. It should probably have its own thread, I would think. I also think the project is more suited as a light rail project. If it goes to Gorham, that might be another story.
 #1519944  by markhb

Rockingham Racer wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:11 pm This is a separate project from the Downeaster. It should probably have its own thread, I would think. I also think the project is more suited as a light rail project. If it goes to Gorham, that might be another story.
It does already have its own thread, in the generic passenger rail forum. It can't be light rail, though, as the tracks it would share are an active freight line.
 #1520934  by markhb

Does anyone know if anything interesting happened at the board meeting Monday?
 #1521245  by MEC407

Suspicious item found attached to railcar at Rigby Yard in South Portland; Downeaster service delayed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_-7jupWLsw
 #1522642  by TRNE

NNERPA Open House scheduled for next Tuesday, October 22nd at 20 Myrtle Street Portland. The session will begin at 4:30 and last for two hours. Executive Director Patricia Quinn will brief on various Downeaster expansion proposals. Public feedback is encouraged.
GPCOG_GMAILFlyer_9-30-01.jpg
GPCOG_GMAILFlyer_9-30-01.jpg (642.11 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
 #1522887  by twropr

What happened on Thursday the 17th that caused #688 to be canceled from Brunswick and several of the other trains to be delayed.
If there were trees on the track, was it just heavy rain, wet snow or high winds?
Thanks!
Andy
Jacksonville, FL