Railroad Forums 

• WMATA: Best time / line to catch non 7000 series trains

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1519593  by Deval

I haven't been to DC in a few years but I know the 7000 series cars have taken over. Are they primarily assigned to one line or have they taken over? I'd like get some more photos of non 7000 series trains when I visit next month. Any suggestions on where to go?
 #1519608  by davinp

The older trains are not assigned to just one line. I've seen 2000/3000 series 6-car and few 8-trains between the 7000 series.
But this summer they've seemed to move the 6000 series trains to the red & green lines as I've not seen them in Virginia all summer
 #1519617  by JDC

I've seen a fair number of 2k/3ks on the Yellow line this summer, but I think that was due to the just-completed Platform Improvement Project which ended service at National Airport for B/Y lines. Otherwise, I see almost exclusively 7k series on Yellow and Green during rush hours (which is when I ride). I think best shot would be going to L'Enfant Plaza station's lower level and just sitting - you're bound to see 7ks, and 2-3ks, on one of the three lines passing through.
 #1520213  by danib62

Check out metrohero and see which lines are running a low percentage of 8 car trains. 7000 series trains aren't run in 6 car trains so if a line has a low percentage of 8 car trains then it means they're running a good number of non-7000 series cars.