Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Expansion Plan

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1517573  by troffey

gokeefe wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:23 pm
lordsigma12345 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:20 pmMassachusetts is also studying an east-west corridor that could go on the list. All of the six alternatives run between Springfield and Boston with some also extending the service to Pittsfield. No decisions have been made on who would operate it or how.
This is a tricky one too but I will admit that getting all of these communities to join the MBTA would be nearly impossible. That means "more likely than not" that Amtrak will be the operator.
Since this would be under MassDOT and not the MBTA, couldn't they contract with whoever they please? These towns wouldn't have to join the MBTA for Keolis to be the operator...
 #1517580  by gokeefe

Very true but that gets into host railroad issues very quickly unless every last inch of the right of way is separate from the freight carrier.
 #1517591  by gokeefe

This report from the Congressional Research Service indicates the terminal points for the Coast Daylight as Salinas to San Luis Obispo.

This appears to be only one track segment and not the complete route.
 #1517593  by gokeefe

The previously linked Caltrans ITIP document describes the Coast Daylight as follows:
A new passenger rail service, the Coast Daylight, is being developed to provide regular service between San Luis Obispo and the San Francisco Bay Area, with an onward connection with the Capitol Corridor.
 #1517597  by west point

ExCon90 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:44 pm
mtuandrew wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:02 pmSure seems like a waste to have two trains on each other’s markers, doesn’t it? Might be an excuse for Amtrak to shift the Coast Starlight to an earlier departure time so the Amtrak California Coast Daylight can have a 10am-10pm schedule.
I think the reason for the mid-morning departure from LA in the first place is that back in 1971 there was supposed to be a through train from San Diego to Seattle. Quite soon thereafter they changed the origin to LA but retained the same departure time to protect the SD connection; today an earlier LA departure could be adopted for one of the trains; having the Starlight leave earlier would provide better arrival times all the way up the coast.
After thru train discontinued ran 2 thru cars coach and Pullman . San Diego train would back in and cars snatched off end and pulled south thru connecting switches and put on end of Starlight.
 #1517736  by bretton88

gokeefe wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:45 pm The previously linked Caltrans ITIP document describes the Coast Daylight as follows:
A new passenger rail service, the Coast Daylight, is being developed to provide regular service between San Luis Obispo and the San Francisco Bay Area, with an onward connection with the Capitol Corridor.
1.2 billion???? For one daily train up the coast? That's a crazy cost.
 #1517740  by Backshophoss

You are dealing with 3 different outfits.Host RR UP,LOSSAN(ends at SLO),and Caltrain/Capital Corridor(SLO to Oakland/SFO).
This "daylight" will be Surfliner Equipment's "Last stand" at some point.
 #1517752  by Gilbert B Norman

Back on this side of "the Ditch" (one joyride; Salzburg-- St. Anton/Arlberg; and Munich-Salzburg "Train to the.plane").

Seattle-San Diego was a designated Basic System route under RPSA70. It appears the Incorporators (and their consultants) were not aware that LAUPT was a stub end and as such meant the operational concerns of a back in cut cars pull out involved. As I recall, November 14 '71 timetable did away with such.

Gotta remember, "it's just us" with the obversion of changing directions.
 #1517776  by Greg Moore

Didn't LAUPT originally have some through tracks? When did they disappear?
I seem to recall an article in a recent Trains magazine discussing ideas to restore a set.
 #1517784  by bostontrainguy

Greg Moore wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:48 am Didn't LAUPT originally have some through tracks? When did they disappear?
I seem to recall an article in a recent Trains magazine discussing ideas to restore a set.
I don't believe they ever had through tracks but yes there is a plan to make the station a through station.

A few options:
https://urbanize.la/post/four-options-u ... ugh-tracks
 #1517789  by MACTRAXX

Ridgefielder wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:42 am
Backshophoss wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:22 pm There's room at Montauk yard for Amtrak to lay over,may need to build a ground power supply,and possibly truck in fuel.
Only stops would be Jamaica or Hicksville(Divide tower) for the Greenport connection,Babylon,Speonk,Bridgehampton and Montauk .
Consist would be 4 coaches,1 Cafe,and 2 Biz class cars,1 baggage at beginning and end of season,
power is 1 P-32DM.
Season is end of April to end of Sept.
Not sure if LIRR will allow Pvt cars,or send a switcher to Montauk to to switch them on/off Amtrak,Cost could be $$$$$ :(

3rd track Mainline when online to Divide,and with the CTC now reaching Montauk,should not be a dealbreaker to run
as most sidings are within control points.
If this is a summer-only service, your stops should be Jamaica (connection to everywhere), Bay Shore (for the Fire Island boats), Westhampton, Southampton, East Hampton, Montauk.

I know that sounds like a lot of stops on the East End but the traffic on the South Fork in summer is something else. Bridgehampton might look centrally located on a map but the station's just a parking lot and platform off on the edge of the village, and it could take 45+ minutes to get there from Southampton or Amagansett.
BSH, RF and Everyone:

I want to reply about proposed Amtrak service to Long Island on the Montauk Branch to the East End:

A new Amtrak train either connecting with Empire Service from Albany or further west or off the NEC
from Washington could be a possibility. This could be run on an experimental basis during the Summer
season to see if there would be sufficient ridership to make this new service option permanent.

This train should make a minimum of stops which would be Jamaica, Babylon or Patchogue and then
the "big four" Montauk Branch LIRR East End stations - Westhampton, Southampton, East Hampton
and Montauk. There is sufficient LIRR service and/or connections for all other LIRR stations.

The Babylon or Patchogue stop would be to serve western Suffolk County. A Jamaica stop would offer
LIRR connections to multiple lines but would not be absolutely necessary.

This train could supplement the LIRR's highest-ridership East End trains such as the Friday afternoon
"Cannonball" to offer this new higher fare Amtrak service option.

From a LIRR ETT - mileages from Long Island City (2.3 miles more for NYP)
Jamaica 9.0
Babylon 36.6
Patchogue 53.9
Westhampton 74.3
Southampton 89.3
East Hampton 100.9
Montauk 115.8

MACTRAXX
 #1517827  by ExCon90

Greg Moore wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:48 am Didn't LAUPT originally have some through tracks? When did they disappear?
No, LAUPT never had through tracks. However, that impression may have been created by the fact that access from the station was by an under-track passageway with stairways leading upward in opposite directions to each platform as would be found in a through station. The future plans are for a completely new arrangement, not a restoration.

Edited to clarify a typo.
Last edited by ExCon90 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1517881  by NIMBYkiller

Re-Amtrak to Long Island, Jamaica should absolutely be a stop. The connection to JFK means reverse traffic riding to NEC or upstate/Hudson Valley destinations (depending on which service it is). If it's running out to Montauk, forget Babylon. Bay Shore has the largest concentration of ferries to Fire Island, so that would be far more beneficial in terms of tourism ridership. Speonk, waste of time, no reason for Amtrak to stop there. I agree about making multiple Hamptons stops. If this is a full year service and not seasonal, I'd add a Nassau stop, probably Hicksville. But they haven't even announced what they're looking into exactly, seasonal or full time, what end point, just a vague "Long Island"
 #1517889  by gokeefe

This is a really interesting point. Never even thought to consider the implications of connecting with JFK.