Railroad Forums 

• Medford Branch "Dead or Alive?"

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1506910  by BostonUrbEx

tom18287 wrote:did they cancel the plans to bypass the tunnel? doesnt appear appear anything has changed
Railroad couldn't hold a project timeline if its life depended on it. Pushed back several times and now there's no date set at all anymore.
 #1517497  by CRail

Tunnel bypass went online this week. Medford branch has a new electric lock switch off the new main.
 #1517524  by bostontrainguy

Have seen a few pics and postings on this. What is the story? It always was there but not used? Was it reactivated to create an easy passing track?

As far as the Medford branch, the Pan Am website still has this listing available:

CRYSTAL COLD STORAGE – MEDFORD, MA
Opened in 2001, Crystal operates a 2.5 million square foot, state-of-the-art, temperature controlled facility in Medford, just north of Boston. The facility is close to routes I-93 and US-1. Their siding can handle 5 cars.
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1517550  by fridmun2

I remember in the late 80's / early 90's I believe, that the Western Route was among the last to still run exclusively with FP-10's, because there was some sort of clearance issues with F40PH's in this tunnel. And I also remember all scheduled service using the surface bypass for a while, when they were doing the clearance remediation work in the tunnel to resolve this.

It was fun for a while (I lived in Malden), pacing the FP-10's and their trains along Commercial Street/ Rivers Edge Drive!
 #1517628  by FatNoah

That was my question as well. I get the OL needs to have a tunnel unless the Medford Branch completely goes away. With the branch, you need a turnout to access either the bypass or the branch itself. There's only one track, so it's not like you'd be fouling another track either way.
Last edited by MEC407 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1517716  by GP40MC1118

The bypass was not connected to the north or east end of the tunnel back then. It was the Medford
Branch and a spur to the Piantedosi Baking Company (used to get airslides). There was also a cold storage
warehouse on Commercial Ave called "Triple A" (which was off the mainline).