Railroad Forums 

• MARC HHP-8

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1516593  by mtuandrew

Would be nice to electrify the Camden and Brunswick lines, but I’d rather focus on rebuilding to Annapolis and a “dinky” to Westminster. I’d love to figure out how to connect to Hagerstown, Ocean City, and York, PA too, but those aren’t best served by train in my opinion.
 #1516602  by STrRedWolf

mtuandrew wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:36 am Would be nice to electrify the Camden and Brunswick lines, but I’d rather focus on rebuilding to Annapolis and a “dinky” to Westminster. I’d love to figure out how to connect to Hagerstown, Ocean City, and York, PA too, but those aren’t best served by train in my opinion.
For that, you connect using the old WB&A Electric's path from Odenton (existing junction, but two crossings as well) down to Annapolis and Ocean City. This will require building new track along a now bike path and some more crossings, unfortunately. It will require building some new track as well, although MDOT (MARC) owns a good section of track that can be used. There's some abandoned track as well that is in unknown shape.

For Hagerstown, I would build from just west north west of Brunswick to Sharpsburg, and hook into the line there to Hagerstown. The CSX track between Brunswick and Hagerstown is gone, so you'll need to hook into Norfolk Southern track. The plus side? Tourist traffic to Antietam.

York, PA? Already served by a commuter bus, the RabbitTransit RabbitEXPRESS 83S. 6 trips daily York to Hunt Valley and Timonium (transfer to Light Rail).

BTW this will help: http://www.mdot.maryland.gov/newMDOT/Fr ... ailmap.pdf
 #1525005  by Jeff Smith

So, while Amtrak is getting sued for breach of contract, MARC is rehabbing: RailwayAge.com
HHP-8 “Cannibalization” Generates Lawsuit
In conjunction with the Amtrak order, MARC acquired six HHP-8s for Penn Line service along the Northeast Corridor.
In 2016, MARC indicated that it planned to retire its HHP-8s and replace them with Siemens SC-44 Charger diesel-electric locomotives. MARC instead started an HHP-8 refurbishment program in 2017. Equipment cooling, propulsion control and software problems are being addressed; recent reports indicate that at least two units have been returned to service and are not having reliability problems. MARC will most likely rebuild its remaining 6 HHP-8s.
 #1536786  by Backshophoss

If alstrom was successful,why are they silent? They should be crowing to the MBTA and Amtrak that they have the "fix" for the Hippo's
To them,it's still a R&D project with 0 results!!!!
 #1537259  by Tadman

There's 21 total, 15 laid up at Amtrak. Even if not a raging success, it's just not a big deal. Alstom is a billion dollar company and just doubled in size when they picked up BBD. Their marketing department is much more concerned with selling entire new fleets of streetcars and commuter trains and HST compared to making a tiny fleet of dogs last a bit longer.