Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1514922  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:10 am This past Sunday, #6(19), Zephyr, and #4(19), Chief, were reported to arrive about 930P and 1230A(22) respectively.

Anyone?

#6 came through "hometown" just as I was alighting BNSF
2025, after taking my "poor man's way from O'Hare" - way late after a "ground hold" at DFW (also found my "poor man's way to DFW on DART $1.50 Senior each way).
Blame the weather and the resulting freight congestion, per Amtrak Alerts. Flash Flood warnings took a big hit out of both trains.
 #1515958  by jhdeasy

Train 65(03) overnight from BOS to NPN was about 2 hours 45 minutes late at ALX this morning.

Trouble on the Shore Line: Track A Train notes they lost over 2 hours between New Haven and Stamford, and were 3 hours 3 minutes late at NYP.
 #1515977  by STrRedWolf

65/66 took hits due to signal issues between Stamford and New Rochelle. There was also a signal issue at NY Penn Station.

That stretch is Metro North territory. Metro North reported (via their Twitter) of weather-related power and signal power issues in that time span...
 #1516442  by STrRedWolf

shlustig wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:53 am Does anybody know why the Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited #449 (7th) arrived at ALB 3' 35" late? This caused #49 to Dp. ALB about
3' 45" late.
Weather related signal issues, per Amtrak NEC Alerts.

449 (8) was delayed due to mechanical issues and is running 3 hours late.
 #1518467  by WhartonAndNorthern

west point wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:47 pm
WhartonAndNorthern wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:12 pm

The article mentions that it was the Southwest Chief (#3) and it had two engines. Likely it needed both to provide HEP and sufficient horsepower to travel the route (Esp. Raton Pass).
We hope you are not assuming HEP can come from 2 locos ? It isn't so/. Only one loco provides HEP even on the long auto trains. Only Via has a set up where 2 locos provide HEP to alternate cars. Now with the Chief maybe having more cars for the scouts the HEP might have to be shut off to provide more power to traction motors on the HP loco.
Sorry, I just saw this now.
No, I'm aware that only one engine supplies the HEP. However the engine providing maximum HEP is only able to supply 2,525 HP to the rail. If one engine fails, 2,525 HP may not be enough to make track speed (Chief is authorized 90 mph) and/or get it over Raton and Glorieta. So they waited for a freight motor to give them additional horsepower.

And who is this "we?" Is there an organization you purport to represent?
“Yes, I have noticed there are three classes of people who always say ‘we’ instead of ‘I.’ They are emperors, editors and men with a tapeworm.”
--Senator Roscoe Conkling
Or more harshly, “The head of a sovereign state, a schizophrenic, and a pregnant woman."
--Admiral Rickover
 #1518615  by STrRedWolf

Capitol Limited 30 (28) is terminated at Martinsburg due to a freight derailment between Duffields and Harpers Ferry in West Virginia, per Amtrak Alerts.

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/08/29/crews ... -impacted/

Edit update from Amtrak Alerts:
Update: Alternate transportation to Washington (WAS) will be provided for passengers on Train 30 which terminated today at Martinsburg (MRB). Train 29 scheduled to depart WAS today will originate in Pittsburgh (PGH). Alternate transportation will be provided from WAS to PGH.
 #1521178  by farecard

18 Sept. NEC 66 didn't depart WAS until 19 Sept. 1245 AM.
The Conductor walked the cars telling us the switch ahead of us was the cause.
Then reporting a track crew was en route.
He offered Baltimore passengers the option to take a MARC on a nearby track.
At about midnight, he said the switch was repaired and an inspector was dispatched.

We regained much of the lost time, with clearly shortened stops, including NYP dropping from 75 to 5-10 minutes.
We arrived South Station 45 minutes late.
 #1521194  by STrRedWolf

farecard wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:16 am 18 Sept. NEC 66 didn't depart WAS until 19 Sept. 1245 AM.
The Conductor walked the cars telling us the switch ahead of us was the cause.
Then reporting a track crew was en route.
He offered Baltimore passengers the option to take a MARC on a nearby track.
At about midnight, he said the switch was repaired and an inspector was dispatched.

We regained much of the lost time, with clearly shortened stops, including NYP dropping from 75 to 5-10 minutes.
We arrived South Station 45 minutes late.
Hmmm... NEC 66 departs WAS at 9:40PM, coming from Newport News... MARC 452 departs at 10:55PM. MARC 452 didn't have a delay as far as I can tell from MARC Email alerts... and no temperature warnings.

Must of been a breakage on the east side of K-Tower and the MARC was on the east side of Track 16 at WAS... and it happened after the Palmetto left.

Engines are swapped at WAS. Was the swap delayed? I have to wonder how much it would take to just have a track worker around in case they have to manually turn the switch... but then it depends on what damage was done.
 #1521195  by farecard

I suspect the swap was done before boarding started. No jolting of any kind while on board or loss of HEP.
I think we left on Track 16. We were ready to depart, then didn't. Got told a few minutes later about the delay.

That sounds right on the MARC time; I think he had a fist full of MARC tickets that he was passing out.

ps: on 175 southbound we did lose HEP several times, and not momentarily; rather it appeared we'd hit a phase break, and something tripped as it would be a minute or so before it was restored.